S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Exhaust flow technology

Old 08-03-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJF,Aug 2 2006, 07:22 PM
OK... First, after seeing how people got angry when I questioned an Amuse exhaust in another thread, let me post my credentials as a motor builder:
Not to be a smart ass or anything, but that thing under our hoods that makes the car go is called a engine.

Nice thread BTW, very informative.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:28 AM
TJF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rajun asian,Aug 3 2006, 10:24 AM
Not to be a smart ass or anything, but that thing under our hoods that makes the car go is called a engine.
oh... well, thanks for letting me know.

This is from Websters:
The definition of Motor -
1. Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.
2. A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.

A motor is any device that has the ability to spin moving parts. An engine is a type of motor, so that thing under your hood is both a motor and an engine.

Thanks for playing
You suck as a teacher but excel as a student
Old 08-03-2006, 10:39 AM
TJF

Originally Posted by rajun asian,Aug 3 2006, 10:24 AM

Nice thread BTW, very informative.
and it would be an engine. Anytime the word following the connector begins in a vowel, you use "an" instead of "a" (with minor exceptions including acronyms and words that sound as though they begin in a vowel sound but have silent consonant).

Im just giving you flak. I dont mind being corrected, but only when the correction is correct.

ok... thread jack off... back to titanium.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by TJF,Aug 2 2006, 03:22 PM
OK... First, after seeing how people got angry when I questioned an Amuse exhaust in another thread, let me post my credentials as a motor builder:

I worked at a local machine shop called Auto Sports Center for 5 years. We had a full Winona Van Norman machine shop that we had purchased from Lamborghini. It included a flowbench operated by an ex-Keith Craft Racing fabricator. I have seen a bunch of heads on a flow bench so I have some idea of what flows and what doesnt.

That said, I dont know everything, so enlighten me as to this:

Why are some high dollar titanium exhausts angle cut and then welded with sharp angles? This CANNOT flow as well as a mandrel bent pipe. This is a recent pic form the Gallery forum to show what I mean.

Can titanium even be mandrel bent... if not, that probably explains it. However, that would mean that a mandrel bent stainless system would perform better than a Ti setup that is twice the price!!!

Just trying to find the truth.
I really like your thinking. . . for having the balls to question the all mighty JDM. . .
Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Titanium isn't a "little" lighter than stainless, it's a LOT lighter.

The Amuse Ti exhausts are mandrel bent from the Y back, so they flow nicely. The front section is basically straight so I don't think you're losing much flow up there, if any.

All stainless exhaust oxidize like crazy, they turn orange in a hurry and need to be polished to keep them shiny. Ti doesn't oxidize, just wipe it down to remove dirt.

Ti exhaust also have a unique sound to them, I like the sound better than stainless.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:50 AM

Old 08-03-2006, 11:57 AM
TJF

Originally Posted by s2ka,Aug 3 2006, 11:21 AM
Titanium isn't a "little" lighter than stainless, it's a LOT lighter.

The Amuse Ti exhausts are mandrel bent from the Y back, so they flow nicely. The front section is basically straight so I don't think you're losing much flow up there, if any.

All stainless exhaust oxidize like crazy, they turn orange in a hurry and need to be polished to keep them shiny. Ti doesn't oxidize, just wipe it down to remove dirt.

Ti exhaust also have a unique sound to them, I like the sound better than stainless.
Nice stainless full exhausts are pretty light compared to stock stuff. Many are less than 20 lbs. Its really the mufflers/resonators that add weight to an exhaust. I was actually under the impression that Titanium was a fairly heavy metal (thats why you pay more for Titanium shift knobs as they add heft to the shift throw, or a titanium weighted driver for golfing). I know its lighter than Steel, but it is heavier than Aluminum for instance. Unless you have some figure that shows you can save over 50lbs with a Ti exhaust over Stainless, I am going to fail to see the justification.

The reverse flow of a angle welded joint is a SIGNIFICANT flow restriction. It will cause a high pressure swirl at the high point of the elbow that will actually cause a small backflow kind of like an eddy in running water.

I have seen countless stainless exhausts and have had a few myself. Not a single one has even had a bit of oxidation. I imagine you are thinking of "aluminized" steel exhaust piping. VERY DIFFERENT. That is what comes on lower end aftermarket stuff (FLowmaster, pacesetter, etc...). High quality stainless systems are guaranteed not to rust for longer than your car.

I know the titanium headers on an F1 car sound cool, but I imagine it is more to do with the car and the exhaust shape than the type of metal used.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:22 PM

T1R 70 mm Titanium doesnt have much bends.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:26 PM
TJF

Originally Posted by drifttolga,Aug 3 2006, 12:22 PM
T1R 70 mm Titanium doesnt have much bends.
post a pic

I am now curious to see a bent titanium exhaust
Old 08-03-2006, 12:39 PM

here is the link

http://www.maxrev.net/index.php?location=ajexhaust.htm

Quick Reply: Exhaust flow technology