S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Exhaust Crush Gaskets

Old 08-24-2004, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Crush Gaskets

Sorry, the search function isn't working for me.

I've seen some aftermarket exausts get installed without crush gaskets and some that did. Does anyone know which is correct? Does it depend on the exhaust? What about an HKS exhaust? Can I buy these at the local auto parts store, dealership or Midas?

Anyone?
Old 08-24-2004, 06:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I refuse to answer your question, because I sat there and watched your sig for about 5 minutes, and I don't get it.
Why is the smiley lying down?
Old 08-24-2004, 09:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're talking about the gasket between the rear end of the cat and the front end of any cat back exhaust system, then yes, you need to have this gasket. Most systems come with a new gasket but if it doesn't, then get one from the Honda dealer. Afterall, if the exhaust system is supposed to mate with the cat then, it must have the matching shape and thus, the gasket must be the same shape and thus, can be purchased at the Honda dealer.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:09 AM

Thanks to xviper. No thanks to mxt 77!

My sig is a smiley version of the Radiohead video for "Just". The whole video leads up to what the guy says the reason is he's laying there for. The video is subtitled but when he says why, they don't subtitle it, leaving you to read lips to figure out what he's saying. It's torture basically. More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:11 AM

I had this problem when i purchased a used Invidia.I didn't get the gasket because at the time we both thought it would be a get anywhere part.It wasn't.I got the Honda crush one but it was no good.The oem one goes into a groove in the pipe you are replacing.The cat flange is smooth(no groove)In the end the guy who sold me the exhaust very kindly took it from his car and sent it to me.This was on a 2001 car i dont know if it has been changed on later year cars.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:18 PM

I need this gasket too. I recently bought a used invidia exhaust and planned on using the OEM gasket but I couldn't get it off of the stock pipe. Does the gasket look like a ring about the size of a beer can in diameter? If so then that's what I tried to pry out of the stock pipe and couldn't. I went ahead and finished the install since I had the stock exhaust already off. I am planning on putting the gasket in as soon as I can find one.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:26 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 24 2004, 11:10 AM
<snip>can be purchased at the Honda dealer.
OH, no you can't. I needed on so I call Duc (http://www.teamspugen.com/) and got a few of them. The problem is exactly as BAKINBLK explained. You just can't buy this one anywhere I could find. Duc was the man and had them instock.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:32 PM

How much were they? Do you have a spare you can sell?
Old 08-24-2004, 01:07 PM

Email Invidia and say that they forgot to include it when you bought your exhaust.

I bought a used one and like all of you, thought I could use the stock one. I emailed Invidia, said I purchased an exhaust from them but it didn't come with the gasket. They shipped one right out for free and they paid shipping.

Got to my house in about 3 days
Old 08-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have a gasket between my test pipe and OEM exhaust, and I can't tell a difference. It doesn't seem to leak.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Crush Gaskets