S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Exhaust Bypass

Old 05-19-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Bypass

I have a 2006 s2k and wanted to install an exhaust bypass located directly behind the catalytic converter. This piece will allow you to hit a toggle switch to open the exhaust completely bypassing the entire mufflur system or closing it, allowing you to ride normally. I was wondering if anyone out there has done such a thing to there s2k and if so, have you had any problems with low back pressure or the engines ECU sincing a problem and triggering the engine check light. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Ray
Old 05-19-2007, 09:05 PM

heard of it.. was gonna get one .. but its crap.. to install it.. you need to cut and weld.. also the piece is crap and will rush when it rains.. which in than falls apart.. seen pictures

in order to get the full effects of running no muffler you would have to reset ecu every time you go to bypass and back.. so its time consuming and worthless ..

an exhaust system i would do is custom.. find a muffler shop and get a pipe made with a flange.. have it bolted right after the cat and runs all the way back .. throw some exhaust tips on and no one will know hehehe
imo why run mufflers.. because the point of a muffler is to muffle the air and creates back pressure.. when racing and running WOT all the time.. no need for back pressure .. nascars dont run mufflers..
Old 05-20-2007, 12:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea well most drag strips (at least in jersey) wont allow unmuffled cars on most nights. Just something to think about with noise regulations. Besides its the cat that causes the most resistance, if you arent worried about noise, why worry about emissions? A few tuners arent going to ruin the planet without cats. Especially correctly tuned cars.

On a side note, my friend passed STATE inspection without a cat because it was tuned so well. (PRE OBD2 so the probe was used)
Old 05-20-2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by blackout,May 20 2007, 12:20 AM
yea well most drag strips (at least in jersey) wont allow unmuffled cars on most nights. Just something to think about with noise regulations. Besides its the cat that causes the most resistance, if you arent worried about noise, why worry about emissions? A few tuners arent going to ruin the planet without cats. Especially correctly tuned cars.

On a side note, my friend passed STATE inspection without a cat because it was tuned so well. (PRE OBD2 so the probe was used)
a few tuners not gonna ruin the planet .. because all those 1000 laps that nascar does every month has nothing to do with it either lol
Old 05-20-2007, 07:00 PM

Thanks Guys
Hey R3DS2k, are you saying that it will tell the ECU theres a problem and light up the CEL. In which the ECU will then need to be cleared. Correct.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, but in order to increase fuel delivery along with the increased air flow, you'd have to reset the ECU or have it lag behind as it learns WTH is going on with the abruptly changed conditions.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit,May 20 2007, 07:13 PM
No, but in order to increase fuel delivery along with the increased air flow, you'd have to reset the ECU or have it lag behind as it learns WTH is going on with the abruptly changed conditions.
just like the idea or resetting the ecm after a mod: to let the ECM relearn the fuel trim. the problem with obd2 car is that you can reset the short term fuel trim on the go but it'll take 40-50 miles before the ecm learnt the long term fuel trim.

another flaws in your plan is the location of the cut out switch, the whole idea is to have the least restriction and the cat is probabaly the bigger restriction in the exhaust system.

it's pointless if you are somewhat stock/minor bolt on's, it works magic for large displacment NA and turbo(but if i am going turbo, i wouldn't be running a stock cat neither )

good luck on that