S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Exhaust bolt COMPLETELY stripped

Old 04-04-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry, not the bolts... The nuts are stripped...

I may have caused a problem though... I drilled a hole into the center of the bolt thinking I could just break the bolt and the nut would come off (don't ask me why, I was frustrated and not thinking straight)... So now did I just screw myself over? Do I have to use the bolts that are on the cat or can I just the new ones that came with my invidia exhaust?
Old 04-04-2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by S2K:-),Apr 4 2006, 05:01 PM
See that's my problem... I only have the back jacked up with enough room for me to fit under there. I don't have a plasma cutter either. I'm guessing I just have to go to the muffler shop tomorrow and have them do it.
I hope you have a jack stand !!!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:13 PM

lol, no but I have ramps.

Like these but bigger.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by S2K:-),Apr 4 2006, 08:07 PM

I may have caused a problem though... I drilled a hole into the center of the bolt thinking I could just break the bolt and the nut would come off (don't ask me why, I was frustrated and not thinking straight)... So now did I just screw myself over? Do I have to use the bolts that are on the cat or can I just the new ones that came with my invidia exhaust?
Looks like you'll have to cut 'em off and drill the bolt out to put new ones in, hope you have a big enough drill bit. It might be a PITA to do lying on your back but I'd done it on my latest project (non-S2K) so it's do-able. I hope the shop don't charge you a arm/leg just to do so when you could do it on your own with a little bit of work, that's just my .02 cent. Hope you get it done, the invidia sounds a bit loud but great!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:57 PM

Well if the shop is gunna rip me off I'll just go to my friends shop... He has a lift and he'd probably just let me do it (but if I only have to pay these guys a little bit i figure what the heck, i might as well just have them do it)
Old 04-04-2006, 09:01 PM

That's why it's good to know people ... Good luck nonetheless...
Old 04-04-2006, 09:19 PM

Ya hopefully he's still cool. I haven't been to his shop in a few months...not sure what'll happen. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend using the craftsman bolt out kit. It is specifically designed for stripped bolt heads. I've used it numerous times and it has worked every single time. What you do is bang on the closest fitting socket head and it will create its own groove and let you use enough torque to remove the bolt.

I believe the whole kit runs around $30. It is really worth it.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K:-),Apr 4 2006, 09:07 PM

I suggest you spray the crap out of those things and if need be use some heavy vise grips and do what you can to twist them things off there. If not, then you'll have to cut them off.
At this point, if you wish to continue on your own, take the whole cat off when you can. Spray the front nuts and spring bolts too. Once off, you can work better at getting the remainder of the bolts out of the cat.
I'm not sure that any aftermarket exhaust will come with the nuts and bolts for the rear of the cat. They may expect you to use the stock ones.
A "bolt out" may not help you if the nuts are really rounded off. Once you get the nuts off, the bolts may be OK and you just need to get new nuts.
If the bolts are buggered, the bolt part is pressed into the cat just like the wheel studs are on your hubs. You have to pound them suckers out of there. Of course, heating them with a torch will help but if you're careful and persistent, you can be beat them out or drill them out. Then you can go get nuts, bolts, washers and lock washers of the same size and length and use those. Unless your cat back actually supplied them.
Be careful not to break the wires for the O2 sensor when you take the cat off. Any way you look at it, from this point on, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Good luck!

ps. Can I assume that when you say the nuts are "stripped" that you mean they are rounded off so bad the socket no longer grabs them? And you can't turn them?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Apr 5 2006, 01:39 AM
ps. Can I assume that when you say the nuts are "stripped" that you mean they are rounded off so bad the socket no longer grabs them? And you can't turn them?
Yes...

And I'm taking this to my friends shop today becaues he might do it for free and if not I will DEFINANTLY come home and try that...

Quick Reply: Exhaust bolt COMPLETELY stripped