S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Exedy/Cusco Clutch

Old 07-27-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the concerns and info. I've already missed my window to install this as I had my transmission out this past weekend and have already replaced it. Luckily my stock clutch had only 10K miles on it and was in MUCH better shape than the Exedy/Cusco.

My main purpose to find out if this is normal is so I can resell this clutch if it is normal or if not, can deal with the person who sold me a not so good part.

ilovehonda: What you state is exactly what the person who sold it to me stated. If this is not normal wear (for 300 miles) than replacing the disk is an option but it would also require resurfacing the pressure plate and/or replacing it. At this point I might as well just get a new clutch.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovehonda,Jul 27 2005, 06:15 PM
Unfortunately I do not own an S2000, but I was just giving my input. Perhaps it was wrong for me to say that. Yes, this is my first day here and I'm still learning about the S. Just because I just posted here doesn't mean a thing. I care more about the technical aspects about the car than the other "little" things. Thanks for the welcome by the way.
I apologize for jumping down your throat, and I believe that you do know what you are talking about, though the grammar in your 1st couple of posts made them suspect. There have been quite a large number of 'trollish' posts lately by brand new members on several other forums just out to spread misinformation and start trouble. So far UTH has been immune. Please read the FAQ'a at the top of every forum before you post in it, lots of good info there and some standard rules. On this forum one of the rules is don't post personal speculation as fact. If you express an opinion, express it as an opinion, not as a fact.

Welcome to the boards. Like everywhere else you have to earn respect and trust on here before you are trusted and respected.
(hint: Sarcasm isn't a good way to do this)
Enjoy.. The S2000 is a great car, hope you get one soon.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.....

Futomame, glad you didn't put that P.P in your car, hope you get a good resolution from the seller.

Cheers, Mike
Old 07-27-2005, 03:55 PM

futomame, I think that getting just a new disk may be a good option, but I am not sure about resurfacing it. I believe it may ruin the clutch if I'm not mistaken. But it may work. In the end it is up to you as it's yours.

CaptainMike, no harm done. Thanks for the real welcome
Old 07-29-2005, 06:39 AM

I spoke to Robert @ COX Import and he states there is no way that a clutch should look that way with only 300 miles. Not even 1000miles, the disk just wouldn't be that thin. He thinks it has a LOT of miles. It is also NOT normal for the pressure plate to get grooves in it. To put it short, he basically said I got "SHAFTED".

I bought this from someone on the board who supposedly has a decent reputation. I PM'd the person I bought it from yesterday regarding this and trying to work out a resolution but he hasn't responded as of yet.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:01 AM

That clutch looks like it was really let to slip a lot. Probably during a stop light. Most likely does have 300 miles but slipped so much that it put the groves in there like that. The pads really look like they have about 1/3 of the original material left.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

I've dealt with used 6 pucks of that nature.

Customer bought it used, I told him no guarantee on longevity.

Good thing...it lasted 4k miles and it was shot.

It will take a veteran stick shift driver, with a deft touch, to get any sort of life out of that clutch. Plus they suck on the steet, and are extremely grabby. but to each his own.

For me, there's no way I'd run that clutch. And from experience, would not recommend it to my customers.

Hartopguy.com if you want a real-deal clutch setup that will hook up great, make a nice daily driver, and go the distance.