S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ever see a broken S2000 wheel hub?

Old 01-04-2003, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW. That is some amazing video. Im so glad to see you are alright. Amazingly, it seems you didnt speak a word either. Way to stay calm.

I would imagine that the amazing grip you have been able to achieve and the not so perfect offset eventually showed their impact on the car. Its also wonderful that you didnt come into contact into anything. Looks like there were quite a bit of walls around as well.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my driver side rear hub replaced about 8 months ago after noticing a kind of scraping sound coming from back there. I'm glad I caught it in advance of a total failure. Glad you're ok Dave.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:29 PM
jzr

Oh my, I'm glad you're okay Dave!

Hub failures were common on the first generation Neons when people put DOT R-comps on them for autocross. Later versions were beefed up/revised.

In your case, it must've been the huge stresses going through the suspension via slicks (compounding a couple years' use on big DOT race tires) that broke the camel's back. Guess I'll be pulling mine apart to check it out before Laguna.

Dave, have you had any problems with your front A-arm brackets? That's the piece that's gone bye-bye on several autocross cars. And if you don't mind my asking, were you doing anything special for oil control - baffled pan, Accusump, etc.? If you've gotten by this far with the stock pan I won't bother with anything different.

Well, I hope the car goes back together without too much ado. Let us know how the other side looks.

And congratulations once again on a smoking time! Making it to Laguna I hope?
Old 01-05-2003, 07:20 AM
pll

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B]BTW Dave, that's really freakin fast and it sounds like you could have been even faster that day.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WW! Glad you are alright. Cool videos, thanks!
Old 01-05-2003, 08:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I know this is a bit off topic, but I am really curious about the video. Does your camera have any sort of image stabilization, or is the track / suspension so ruff that your camera can't compensate? I don't think I've seen an in-car clip quite so bouncy.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jzr
[B]Dave, have you had any problems with your front A-arm brackets?
Old 01-05-2003, 08:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]I know this is a bit off topic, but I am really curious about the video.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:49 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

For what it's worth, I've used a Sony Hi8 camera w/ electronic image stabilization attached to an IO-Port mount attached to a roll cage and have gotten negligable shake.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except for that soft "f*ck" at the end :-)

Krazik, I don't think that you're going to be able to identify the cracks easily by visuals. I'd certainly look, but seeing the beginning of a fatigue crack is not easy. I'd just plan on preemptive replacement of the wheel bearings and hubs each season or so. I think Dave's car probably sees more track time that just about anyone else's. It would be interesting if Dave could chronicle his total track time over the past couple years, and on what tires, to get an idea of total hours of use.

And I've definitely replace the front hubs too Dave. They don't see the load the rears will, but as far as you're pushing the car, it's cheap insurance IMO.

UL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by docofmind
[B]WOW.

Quick Reply: Ever see a broken S2000 wheel hub?