S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ever replaced a primary 02 (A/F) Sensor?

Old 02-15-2018, 04:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by isthisusernameavailable
You're not kidding!! I managed to break the sensors free, but couldn't figure out how to remove the connectors with one hand.
Managed a feeble squeeze with one hand, and twisting a screwdriver in failed attempt to lever out the connector, but thought better to find out how the connectors work before breaking something... (;

Could you offer any tips on how to undo the connectors -- is there just a tab on one side that needs to be squeezed? Just squeeze the tab and pull?
Would right-angle needle-nose pliers be a good approach?

Thank you for your advice!
From memory I just used a very small screwdriver and managed to free the connector with the other hand, be careful you do not stab yourself with the screwdriver, very easy to do as the connectors are tight little bastards..
Good Luck..
Old 02-15-2018, 07:28 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruunz
Honestly a lot of swearing helps. I found the more swearing i did the more i managed to manoeuvre my hand in the rage.
I couldn't fit my hand and pliers where i needed it to be, additionally i struggled with lighting as my hands would cast a shadow and i couldn't position the light in a manner that was useful.

i chose not to remove the clip with the connector was in fear that i couldn't put it back.

@chris_lum are you on your back or is the car on a hoist?

When disconnecting the two sides of the plug, I’m on my back, with head facing toward the front of the car. Left arm is on the passenger side of the transmission, right arm on the driver side of the transmission reaching over the top of it.

From step 1…I think I usually release the various clips holding the wiring in place using needle nose pliers, then work on the plug afterward. Sliding the plug off of the bracket is usually pretty easy to do—can be done with one hand as long as you are familiar with the anatomy of the plug. Just use your finger to raise up the end of the plug and slide it off the bracket. Once the plug is off the bracket, I assume that’s the part everyone has issues with since it’s hard to disconnect the two sides of the plug with the small amount of space. With all of the wiring clips disconnected, it should allow some play so you can hold the plug in both hands where you need them to be. So arrange both arms as I described above and you should be able to easily grab onto both sides of the plug without any fuss and pull them apart.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Yes, we call that a wrench. A tool used to wrench things free. What is origin of spanner? What is it spanning?

Yes, we do call that flavor of wrench a flare nut wrench. Used to loosen flare nut fittings, like brake lines. I'm shocked anyone makes one that large!
Actually, where I grew up, it was called a tubing wrench.