S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Even more broken retainers found

Old 11-09-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A diy is a bit rough I think for this, since I think you really do need to have a good mechanic background. There were several places where one little mistake would have caused billman to take apart the rest of the engine. Then again if you have all the time in the world... I'm sure anything is possible. Billman did mine in 2 hours flat =p.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:04 AM

wow
Old 11-09-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blurnj13,Nov 9 2006, 11:01 AM
A diy is a bit rough I think for this, since I think you really do need to have a good mechanic background. There were several places where one little mistake would have caused billman to take apart the rest of the engine.
Yes, I completely replaced all my retainers and valve springs, but it was a PITA and I did drop one of the tiny little tapered "cotters" down into the engine! Fortunately, I was able to get it back using a magnet.

You need an air compressor. You need a leakdown tester. You need a valve spring compressor that actually fits. you need to have the skills and tools required to remove the camshafts and then replave them again.

It took me more like two months than two hours (usually working only for several hours on weekends).

There are some specialized tools that would have made the job a lot easier.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Nov 9 2006, 02:27 PM
You need a valve spring compressor that actually fits. you need to have the skills and tools required to remove the camshafts and then replave them again.
Funny you mention that, cause Billman had a custom valve spring compressor he made just for the task.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:46 AM

it would be great if billman could chime in and let us know what spring compressor would work for this job,

iv only done valve springs on a chevy head with the head off the engine
Old 11-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not billman but this is what he has and what I have too. You have to grind the metal ears off one side to make it fit better.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P6...ore&dir=catalog
Old 11-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Nov 9 2006, 11:27 AM
It took me more like two months than two hours (usually working only for several hours on weekends).
I did all of mine in 4 hours (just replacing the springs and retainers, not including all the head dis/re assembly).

I did it over 2 days on a weekend
Old 11-09-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kyushin,Nov 9 2006, 12:27 PM
I am also curious to using the Ap2 retainers and what the actual weight difference is befoer i replace mine
If Bill says it's OK, then I'm sure it is OK, but I too wonder about the extra mass and how it works with the higher red line and possibly more aggressive cam profile and stiffer springs. For now I'm content to inspect the OEM retainers when we change the oil, and unless we start seeing catastrophic failures in cars that haven't been over reved I'm sticking with that program. This latest find concerns me, because the cracks are so small; I'd feel better if we had some idea of how much longer they'd have gone before failing. If the small cracks grow slowly then periodic inspection is sufficient, but if a small crack can translate into a dropped valve without any other warning then periodic replacement might make sense.

Bill, have we actually seen cars dropping valves without ever having been over reved?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill definitely has a great reputation and i trust his word on using Ap2 retainers in an AP1, im just curious how the extra weight would effect the margins at redline, and would he recommend some stiffer springs to add alittle buffer?
Old 11-09-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by krazik,Nov 9 2006, 12:02 PM
I did all of mine in 4 hours (just replacing the springs and retainers, not including all the head dis/re assembly).

I did it over 2 days on a weekend
There's some learned skill involved, and I did the second half of them in about 1/10 the time I did the first half.

That particular tool was fine for the OEM springs, but it sucked for the dual springs I replaced them with. It would keep slipping off the inner spring coils.

Also, I did it by myself, and the big hassle was getting the cotters reinstalled. If I had had just a third hand available (or if the spring compressor would have worked better on the dual springs) it would have been much easier.

Quick Reply: Even more broken retainers found