S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Even more broken retainers found

Old 11-24-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Nov 23 2006, 04:25 PM
When I read Krazik's comments I thought they must have come from some visitor who was just stopped by to see if they could stir things up.

To answer your question about the AP2 retainers, as I understand it, the pistons will be hitting the valves before the AP2 retainers stretch and/or crack. Basically, before you trash the retainers you've already trashed the engine.
Thats how I've understood this post as well RED MX5. Is this just Billman's theory or has this been posted anywhere else? (Not that his theory is not good enough, just curious).
Old 11-24-2006, 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=Jsmply,Nov 24 2006, 01:56 PM]Thats how I've understood this post as well RED MX5.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Nov 24 2006, 04:06 PM
Bill has seen more over-revs than anyone else I know, and his "theories" seem logical and well founded. As I see it, we have to assume that they are correct, until such time as we find some convincing evidence to the contrary (and this is probably unlikely).

Bill posts pictures of the engines and engine damage, and then people ask questions about the cause. Based on the pictures, and the discussions, it's not just Billman's theory, because it has been adopted by others (myself included). Instead of asking if the theory has been discussed elsewhere, let's ask whether there is any evidence that conflicts with the theory. Has anyone ever seen an AP2 with stretched or cracked retainers?

I will believe the AP2 retainers stretch and crack when I see it happen. Until then I have to believe that Bill is correct.
I'm not doubting Bill at all, I was just curious thats all. I generally try to get as much of Bill's advice as possible on these forums and any post he makes I read and try to absorb the knoweldge.

So we now believe that the new retainers are strong enough that by the time they crack or stretch the engine is already toast. Good to know . . . just for the heck of it (I have not over-reved my car but it has been in for service before where I got it back with a few miles on it, body-work, etc . . .and I'm paranoid) I pulled my valve cover the other day with the help of my mechanic buddy and did a quick visual inspection with a mirror. They all looked pretty much the same, but they are TINY, it must take a very trained eye to be able to spot the minor things that Bill does.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:40 PM

[QUOTE=Jsmply,Nov 24 2006, 05:45 PM]I'm not doubting Bill at all, I was just curious thats all.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:11 PM

Oh we did the same thing . . . but those valve stems are still pretty small when looking through a dental mirror. Either way they looked good!
Old 11-25-2006, 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=Jsmply,Nov 25 2006, 02:11 AM]Oh we did the same thing . . . but those valve stems are still pretty
Old 11-25-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Yeah if you get right over the top of the engine you definitely don't need a mirror
Old 12-05-2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Nov 24 2006, 01:06 PM
Bill has seen more over-revs than anyone else I know, and his "theories" seem logical and well founded. As I see it, we have to assume that they are correct, until such time as we find some convincing evidence to the contrary (and this is probably unlikely).

Bill posts pictures of the engines and engine damage, and then people ask questions about the cause. Based on the pictures, and the discussions, it's not just Billman's theory, because it has been adopted by others (myself included). Instead of asking if the theory has been discussed elsewhere, let's ask whether there is any evidence that conflicts with the theory. Has anyone ever seen an AP2 with stretched or cracked retainers?

I will believe the AP2 retainers stretch and crack when I see it happen. Until then I have to believe that Bill is correct.
Today I over-revved for 1 second, on a 3-2 mis-shift. My own stupid fault. 7 fing years of driving stick...well driving stick the wrong way is probably more like it... No more death grip for me...

To be honest it all happened so fast that I could have just botched the shift into 4th and revved it in neutral...Either way the car seems to run fine, but I'm going to get it checked out ASAP.

I only know that I saw the tach flash red a couple times, and that the engine sounded both awesome and scary at the same time. It was a quick blip to 9000+ for sure. But if I wanted an AP1's redline I would have bought one...

Anyway what Billman is proposing, is good news. I, in my search to try and console myself in the meantime, haven't come across any reports of AP2's with cracked retainers or even blown-up AP2 engines due to mis-shifts.

And since I'm approaching 10k miles I might as well see if the valves need adjusting anyway.

It's amazing when driving casually how hard it is to botch a shift, it's also amazing how easy it is to botch when you're driving hard. I guess this is my lesson.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Nov 11 2006, 07:30 PM
Good one on the left.............................................. .......broken one on the right

Please excuse me if I sound all n00b, but I can't seem to tell the difference between the two in the picture.

Can someone point out what exactly I'm looking for?

Old 12-07-2006, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by mytse,Dec 7 2006, 01:46 PM
Please excuse me if I sound all n00b, but I can't seem to tell the difference between the two in the picture.

Can someone point out what exactly I'm looking for?

The left one is flat (seen from left to right)

The right one is curved-up at the outer-edges.

Quick Reply: Even more broken retainers found