S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

EPS problem

Old 05-21-2011, 12:38 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default EPS problem

Ok looking for some help!

My EPS light came on about 1 month ago, so no power steering. It magically came back to life, now the light is back permenantly and no power steering again.

I replaced my OEM ECU (I have an AEM) and got Honda to do the codes and diagnosis. Basically it's error code 14, and they said there is no continuity on the pink wire on the connector plug for the torque sensor back to the EPS. So either the EPS ECU is fried or I have a cable fault. They followed the Honda fualt finding procedure in the service manual.

To further confuse things, I had 2 events happen. A good 6 months back I had a small engine fire due to a turbo oil line failure, and this resulted in the whole EPS loom being replaced. Things got a bit hot under there, but i've had no issues for all this time. It's possible it wore the EPS ECU out and now it's dead, but it's odd it's just one wire the fault is related to.

Secondly I took out an amp which the previous owner had in there, and some of the wires ran through the driver side dash underneath (this is a UK car so RHD under the steering wheel) I did wonder if i've tweaked a wire under there, as there is a loom running through the bulkhead to the EPS ECU. I've contorted myself under there and cannot see anything obvious, but it's difficult knowing whihc wire is which.

So, has anyone had a similar fault, or can anyone suggest a way forward?

Does anyone know the wiring configuration from the EPS ECU through to the dash?

I can get another EPS ECU pretty easily to try it.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:39 AM
MB

Anyone?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

You left a few things out,

Basically it's error code 14, and they said there is no continuity on the pink wire on the connector plug for the torque sensor back to the EPS. So either the EPS ECU is fried or I have a cable fault. They followed the Honda fualt finding procedure in the service manual.
But what were the results? Was the wire bad or not? It all checked out fine I assume?

Secondly I took out an amp which the previous owner had in there, and some of the wires ran through the driver side dash underneath"
Was this before or after Honda troubleshot the issue? Before I assume?

There is two looms in the US version of the car, I am unsure about the UK version. but I assume the wiring is the same, but the looms may be different. Can you tell me if you have two holes in the dash, one for the engine harness and another for the engine bay harness? In the US, we have one of each side of the car. On the Steering side (LHD) we have the engine harness, on the passenger side, we have the engine bay harness. I assume yours are the same, only reversed? These are through the firewall large rubber grommet's
Old 05-27-2011, 09:20 PM
MB

Hi there,

I'm away from home so couldn't do any further testing, so I don't know if it was the wire. I was planning to run a parallel wire by soldering in at the furthest points.

AMP removal was pre any EPS issues at all.

Correct RE the loom, in the UK we have the EPS loom coming under the driver side and the ECU loom comes through the passenger side.

The amp wiring I pulled out was on the EPS loom side. It would be great to find a wiring diagram for the loom coming through the firewall into the connector plugs!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 PM

Sounds like your car is wired just like ours is in the us. I will dig out the diagram for you to check. I dint think the amp wiring has any bearing on this at all since it was removed prior to Any issues.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:03 AM
MB

Wiring diagram would be appreciated!

I am suspicious about the amp wire removal as the issues with the EPS started quite soon after I pulled them all out. While the amp wires weren't connected into anything but the Alpine head unit, i'm worried i've tweaked something on the EPS loom under the dash.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
MB

Boing
Old 06-02-2011, 03:57 PM

I am out of town this week and was out of town last weekend too. I have not forgotten.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the conectors that go to the EPS steering rack. See if theres a loose one. The conector close to the steering shaft on the rack relates to the torque sensor.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 PM
MB

Cool thanks Strato!

Thunder, I've checked all those things and wiggled them, tried electrical contact cleaner and all sorts.

Basically if there's no continuity in the wire from the end of the torque sensor plug. IRS something back from that like the wire itself or the ecu, or in the loom...

Quick Reply: EPS problem