S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

EPS problem

Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPS problem

Hello,

I tried searching, but couldn't find anything similar to the problems I'm having with mine, Please help!

While I was driving on the Hwy, my EPS light came on and lost power steering all together last night. A day before this happened, my steering was already acting up a little weird. At times it will get light.. checked the tire pressure and they are all fine.

So I stopped the car and restarted the engine, and the light went away, but since then my steering is over assisted to the left and heavy to the right. The EPS light hasn't come on since then, but my steering acts up randomly. I've already checked the fuse under the dash, and they are fine. I've also tried disconnecting the batt to see if that would fix the problem, but the problem remains.

Please help!
Old 10-11-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Try this

Old 10-11-2010, 02:02 PM

I'm doing a bunch of research, so I can understand how to perform this procedure. What I'm getting is that I would have to use the paper clip to pin 4 & 9 and use the OBD-II sensor to clear the code, then perform the procedure?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Right, jumper with the paperclip and then start at step 4. I don't recall the specific pins to jump.

It may be easier to do with the front wheels off the ground
Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by ndk4,Oct 11 2010, 01:10 PM
Hello,

I tried searching, but couldn't find anything similar to the problems I'm having with mine, Please help!

While I was driving on the Hwy, my EPS light came on and lost power steering all together last night. A day before this happened, my steering was already acting up a little weird. At times it will get light.. checked the tire pressure and they are all fine.

So I stopped the car and restarted the engine, and the light went away, but since then my steering is over assisted to the left and heavy to the right. The EPS light hasn't come on since then, but my steering acts up randomly. I've already checked the fuse under the dash, and they are fine. I've also tried disconnecting the batt to see if that would fix the problem, but the problem remains.

Please help!
I am also experiencing this kind of problem.
I replaced my whole rack and pinion assembly and this problem started to occur.

I am experiencing four different things on my eps
1)sometimes it is normal and light
2)hard on right but light on left
3)no eps at all
4)normal but after few minutes of driving eps light will show and power assist will be gone.

Still waiting for my vacation for me to bring back my ap1 to my mechanic. Can anyone assure that resetting or an eps torque sensor relearn will eliminate our problem?

thanks.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:34 AM

what I got from searching is that you jump pin 4 & 9, and use the obd-II to read and trouble shoot. I'll have to try it this weekend and see what it does. have some extra fuses, as I also heard you can have a few fuses blown from this procedure if not careful.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All,

I have rewired my S's engine compartment, tucked and re-spliced/lengthened all harnesses as necessary for a shaved look.

When I rewired the EPS and rerouted the harness behind the engine I had to lengthen the two cables going to the steering cylinder, which has 2 connections (lower left). Sometimes I will experience the EPS light on, with no power steering (as you have). After I massage the harnesses and replug the two harnesses into the cylinder the steering works.

Also next to the Brake Master Cylinder there is a smaller fuse box for the EPS. This also has fuse links that may need to be checked. The other item is the Electronic Steering module located next to the battery (right side). This has 3 connections on the bottom that may need re-plugged/fitted.
Let me know if this helps.