S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

EPS Problem

Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPS Problem

Hi Guys,

the car always wants to pull to the right, the steering wheels just wants to turn if you jack up the car so the wheels are off the ground and turn the car on the steering willl hook right straight away, I went to pedders to get a wheel alignment on all fours and everything is the specs it should be the guy said the car has to go straight yet it still pulls to the right and when you turn left its very hard to turn the steering wheel, like its got only 50% ESP power assist

I try this

1. Align your wheels so they're facing straight.
2. Short the SCS circuit as per the linked guide above.
3. Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left from the straight ahead position, and hold it in that position.
4. Turn the ignition switch ON (III). The EPS indicator comes on, then it goes off after 4 seconds.
5. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator goes off, return the steering wheel to the straight ahead driving position and release the steering wheel. The EPS indicator will come on again 4 seconds after releasing the steering wheel.
5. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator comes on, turn the steering wheel to the left45 degree position and hold the steering wheel. The EPS indicator will turn off again after 4 seconds.
6. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator goes off, return the steering wheel to the straight ahead driving position and release the steering wheel. Do not move the steering wheel before turning the ignition switch OFF.
NOTE: If the steering wheel is moved, the torque sensor neutral position cannot be written to memory.
7. The EPS indicator blinks twice 4 seconds after releasing the steering wheel, then it blinks three times 5 seconds after. Then, the indicator goes off. The torque sensor neutral position is memorized.
NOTE: If the EPS indicator stays on, there was an error in wrting the torque sensor neutral position to memory. Repeat the procedure from the start.
8. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
9. Disconnect the SCS short.

but getting error code 14 and 23 when I short out the SCS and dont know what to do with them error codes.

DTC: 14 Open or short to body ground in the torque sensor circuit
could this be because Ive got SCS Grounded ?

and

DTC: 23 A problem with the circuit for engine speed signal
is this because the car isnt on

please help this has been a problem for weeks now and the guys on OZHONDA are out of comments

Cheers
Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe that those codes need to be cleared and then try it out. the ground is right below the torque sensor it a black wire about 6-8 inches long. have you checked all the connections and continuity that is in the troublleshooting section of the Honda manual. it could be that the EPS main unit is going bad if you know some one with a S2000 swap them and check. sounds like the torque sensor might be bad also thats why it pulls one direction.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:51 PM

how do i clear the codes ?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:24 PM

go to autozone and have them clear them out.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 AM

im in australia
Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should not get a DTC for the EPS just for grounding the SCS line. I'd make sure you've got the right line, but even then, I'm not sure you can short anything on the DLC port that would cause an EPS light.

I'm not sure any USDM procedures will apply to your car, if you are in Oz, your car probably more closely follows JDM protocols which I'm 100% ignorant of.

But... if you don't want to spend money on the dealer, I would start by clearing the codes and then seeing what happens. To clear them (for USDM models, at least):

1. short the SCS connector with the ignition off
2. turn the wheel 45 degrees to the left (from center)
3. turn the ignition on, the EPS light should come on and go off after 4 sec
4. within 4 sec, return the wheel to straight ahead
5. the EPS light should come on 4 seconds after this
6. within 4 seconds of the light coming on, turn the wheel 45 degrees to the left again and hold it
7. the EPS light goes off after 4 sec of holding the wheel
8. within 4 sec, return the wheel to the center position
9. EPS light blinks twice to tell you the DTCs have been cleared
10. turn the ignition switch off within 5 seconds after the EPS light blinks twice

If this doesn't work, turn off the ignition and repeat, an error was made.

Note this is basically your steps 1-6 above, and part of step 7. If not turned off within 5 seconds, the system will go ahead to the neutral position memorizing mode (second half of step 7 in your post). If you don't turn it off fast enough, move the wheel 45 degrees to the left and turn the ignition off, that will abort the neutral memorizing process.

If none of this works, I would think that you may not be able to use USDM procedures, Oz/JDM/EDM/ROTW cars might be different. It may also be that you have another (legitimate problem entirely).

The torque sensor code comes up if the sensor is disconnected, actually shorted, or has a broken wire. You may need to troubleshoot that. The VSS signal shouldn't come up unless you have a problem with the VSS... I am not sure what would be in common with those two codes, I suppose you may actually have an issue with both circuits?

FWIW I've never seen an S2k exhibit the problems you're having, at least, with the EPS seeming to work one direction and not the other. I also haven't seen one ever make the car want to pull one way or the other even though the alignment is OK.

Did you get a spec sheet for the alignment (what the actual numbers were)? Posting that info may help. It may be you have something that's causing a dynamic problem, or the tech doing the alignment didn't know what they were doing, or got a head hooked up wrong.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by PHAMS2K,Jan 4 2010, 04:55 AM
im in australia
So that explains why your writing makes no sense.

GL with your problem though.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 AM

Sorry to bring this up again ! Am having the same problem powersteering seems its working 50% when I turn to the left. The right is fine. Driving the car without the EPS module the steering feels the same both ways. When I jack the car up the wheels will turn on the right. Anyone has found a solution for this ? NO EPS light is showing on the dash.

Will this be a faulty EPS control unit or a damaged EPS motor?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have seen this before and the fix was to replace the rack.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:48 PM

I have this problem, and have sort of "fixed" it.

My car use to pull heavy to the right, constantly.. Like I had to hold onto the steering wheel, otherwise it will pull to the right.. Now, it doesn't pull hard, and I don't really have to hold onto the steering wheel on the highway etc..

I did:

- Wheel alignment
- Correct tyre pressures
- Wheel balance
- Checked my Stabilizer (Bar/Mounts/Links)
- Got Coilovers
- Changed my EPS ECU module

That's what I did, and it helped "alot".. But still, feels although it's harder for me to turn left, than right... So I bought a new steering rack.. I'll keep you updated when I change mine out.. I'll have spares too, as I think it's most likely the steering gearbox/motor that is stuffed/confused.

Although I have a spare EPS module here if you want it, PM me.

Peace.

Quick Reply: EPS Problem