S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

EPS Issue?

Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPS Issue?

Aloha from Hawaii guys! Took me a while to post this, as I have literally tried to read every post pertaining to this issue, but could not find a resolution. I just bought a MY00 with an aftermarket steering wheel. Decided that it was not the route for me, so when we tried to put the OEM wheel back on, we found out that the abs wiring had been rerouted and could not reach the connector on the airbag.

Long story short, the wiring for the horn was also jacked up so we just wrapped it around, put the stock wheel back on and decided to figure it out in the next couple of days.

Later that night, when turning the wheel to the right, the horn would not stop honking. Took the airbag unit out, yanked all the wiring and told myself I would deal with it in the morning.

Next morning, took everything apart again, could not figure out the wiring in time before work, put everything back together, and this is when s#it hit the fan.

The steering when turning right, got really heavy. Really, really heavy. Turning left was fine though. There was also a vibration and buzzing when coming out of first gear up until 3-4k rpm. The vibration continued into second and third gear as well. The steering wheel was slightly off center as well.

Car was just aligned and tire pressure is good too.

I'm reading up on the EPS reset, so I will try that when I get off of work, but any other suggestions as to what it might be? The car was literally driving perfect with the aftermarket wheel all the way up until I put the OEM wheel back on. And the vibrations didn't start until the next day.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar issue. Bought the car with an aftermarket wheel, had a short, EPS light would come on. Removed the aftermarket wheel, found that the cruise control wires where taped together. Horn didn't work either. Once I set it all back up, fixed the wiring, short was gone.. horn worked. Check for spliced wiring due to improper installation