S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

EPS Help- Resolved

Old 12-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default EPS Help- Resolved

My EPS only helps out in left turns and is actually fighting me in right turns. I have some strange behavior where under the right circumstances it tries to return to center all the way until the wheels go left full lock. It's not enough to cause the vehicle to steer itself, but it's pronounced with the wheels in the air.

Youtube Clip

-I do NOT have an EPS light but I do have two stored codes:
14- TS ground fault
23- VSS signal fault

-I don't know if these codes are still present or simply active with the engine off.

-I can NOT clear the codes so that I can relearn the neutral position. I have 4 and 9 jumped on the obd2 port and have tried the right-left-right trick and the light never stays solid. It just keeps blinking the codes at me.

dtc 14 has my attention. It may be an old fault, but would it being bad prevent a dtc reset? How could it be stored and not active on the dash? How does the eps motor know to help me turn left if the ground is bad.?

FYI: The rack moves smoothly lock to lock by hand at the wheels.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

IMHO you've got other faults.
In (both) my service manuals code 14 (P1519) is IAC Circuit Malfunction.
Code 23 is not listed in both, VSS fault is 17 (P0500)

Maybe go to a Honda dealer and hook-up an official Honda PGM tester to see what it shows.
Commercial OBD-II readers (like the OBDLink Scantool with ScanXL software) only show/reset the basic engine stuff, no ABS or SRS faults.
I don't know if EPS faults can be shown/reset with commercial OBD-II readers.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the help Spitfire, but the EPS codes are different from the Engine DTC's. There is a procedure to reset them without the scantool but it's not working.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Oops my bad!
You're right.

But....

Fault 14 is a ground fault OR an open fault (no connection) in the torque sensor circuit (makes some sense with your problems)

Fault 23 has to do with engine speed signal (rpm?) not VSS (vehicle speed)

You have the shortcut in place during the reset .. right?
IOW following the procedure by the letter.
I guess it important to connect the shortcut at the right moment, that is what the manual says.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may help..

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=317747
Old 12-12-2010, 07:37 PM

Thanks Don, but those are the engine codes. The EPS computer is separate.

Spitfire: I've run through the helm procedure to the T many times now. I've thought for a while and I guess I have a bad part. I beleive the EPS computer won't go into reset mode if an active fault exists. I'm going to run the chart this week and see what I find. I'm with you on the torque sensor being bad, but my knowledge of voltage dividers really has me stumped as to how it would work without a ground. Oh well, maybe it's just left biased and doesn't work at all.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:49 PM

SgtB Posted on Dec 13 2010, 05:37 AM
I believe the EPS computer won't go into reset mode if an active fault exists.
Even if it would, the fault would produce a code again.

as to how it would work without a ground.
Well.. the code 14 is either short to ground or no connection at all (broken wire?)

In combination with a lost engine rpm signal I guess it makes sense to get strange behavior.

Have you unplugged/plugged all the EPS connectors?
Spray some elektrical cleaner in them?

Old 12-13-2010, 06:02 AM

It's on my list. I've got to pull continuity on all the plugs anyway. I'm still stumped as to why the eps light isn't on.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:50 PM

Figured it out. My torque sensor neutral position was at full lock left. I don't have any idea how that happened. My only guess is that a transient flipped a bit in the EEPROM and put it way out of range.

Now I had two codes, but the EPS DTC lamp was not illuminated. I figured it was old stored codes, but not being able to reset it tripped me up. All of the wiring and resistance checks where good.

The reason I couldn't reset is because the wording is vague in the helms. The procedure states 45deg left then back to center..etc. What it should say is "not neutral position, neutral position..etc" in the same sequence as the helms. The EPS computer knows when to clear and reset by where the torque sensor is in relation to its neutral position.

Hope this helps someone else out. I was stumped.

EDIT: Just remembered: The first half of the reset sequence should be where the NP is, and the second where you want it. It takes fast hands, but you have 4 seconds between steps.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I have the same issue w my car. Power assisted steering to the left but none to the right. Can you go into further detail of the procedure? Did u start the car with the steering wheel all the way at full lock left, and then have the wheels turn straight ahead? I'm confused on this part, and each time I attempted the eps light would flash 2-3. If you get it right would it flash 2-5? Thx!

Quick Reply: EPS Help- Resolved