S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

EPS is acting up Problem found!

Old 01-21-2007, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPS is acting up Problem found!

Hey wassup everyone! I need some input on my EPS as its acting up as of today. Here are the symptoms:

a) steering feels like it has light resistance when im driving about at any speed.

b) I can turn the wheel left or right but the wheel will not return as im driving. (as if there is no caster) This happens while going around sharp corners and slight curves. I cut the wheel at any degree and at any speed and it will not recenter on its own.

It is pretty cold outside tonight but I managed to check my tire pressures and the mounting brackets on the EPS unit to the subframe. The EPS light is NOT on in addition to all this. Tommorow im going to check the boots on the ends of the EPS and the end racks to make sure the rubber is not busted. Maybee some water could have found its way inside causing the resistance? I will check my wire harness as well. But has anyone experienced such a problem? Please post your input. I opened my FSM and it states that the EPS can sense the motor temp and reduce assistance so that the motor can cool etc etc but I dont think that is my issue because it happens right when I roll away and I do not cut my wheel left to right in a abusive fashion to cause this. TIA and I will post up my solution when I get to the bottom of this.

CHad

edit: 1/28/07
I found a used rack from a board member. The thing is that it is off of a AP2 and my car is a AP1. From what I understand the ratios are different. Are there any other differences that I should be aware of? Feed me your input!! You people have been great thanks for your time.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:46 PM

I had the same issue again this morning.. I drove it around for a bit and the steering came back to normal. 30 mins later the power assist went away again. I took the car back into my garage and pulled the 2 connectors on the EPS and blew them out with compressed air and reinstalled them I also removed the ground wire and cleaned both terminals as well. The EPS worked after that but then on my test drive it again failed. The EPS light is still not illuminated. Input anyone?
Old 01-22-2007, 04:59 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

First to address....non-return. Check it on jack stands, be sure the wheels turn free by hand. Use the wheel/tire to move it through the range, NOT the steering wheel. How's it feel?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Bent steering racks happen if you've ever been off-roading. Also cause the no return issue.

Ever spun the car into something that doesn't move?
Old 01-23-2007, 02:33 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Our jaunt through the salt water is coming to mind.....maybe I'll be tearing my rack down to clean it out.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:29 AM

Actually, while we are on the EPS topic...I too am having problems.

Sometimes when I drive the car, there are no steering issues and the EPS is fine. However, sometimes when I'm driving I am able to very easily turn the car to the right, but when turning left there is a lot of resistance. After awhile the EPS light will come on and I have no power steering.

I have had this problem for some time now (1.5 years). The EPS fuse is okay, I believe the torque sensor is fine because I replaced it but the problem continued, my rack is okay, and I took the car to Honda (I really didn't want to) and of course they charged me $100 to tell me there was a loose connection in the wires. Alas, the EPS light came back on when I got home from the dealership.

I find now that the weather is cold, the EPS does not act up as much. Maybe once or twice a week I will start the car and the EPS light stays on with no power steering.

The EPS system in our cars is actually quite complex, and it has been a real pain in the ass to narrow down this problem. The post above mentioned a cleaning of the ground wires... Could this be the problem?

For example, when driving on the highway I can sometimes feel the steering wheel jerking itself without my hands on it, and then the EPS light will come on and no power steering.

If any one else has had this problem please feel free to post your input, because I really don't know what to do.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Jan 22 2007, 08:59 PM
First to address....non-return. Check it on jack stands, be sure the wheels turn free by hand. Use the wheel/tire to move it through the range, NOT the steering wheel. How's it feel?
OK got the car on a lift today. With the key on and engine off, car up in the air, I grabbed the wheel and turned it from lock to lock many times. It felt very notchy and im sure if i wanted to i could count how many teeth are on the rack. At one point it binded up and I could not move it. From inside the car i grabbed the steering wheel and gave it a few turns and I could feel the notchy motion again.

What puzzles me is that this issue comes and goes when im driving down the road. It will feel notchy and resistant then go back to normal operating condition. I think my next step would be to take the rack apart and inspect and clean everything and OHM and continuity test my harness.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Jan 22 2007, 09:12 PM
Bent steering racks happen if you've ever been off-roading. Also cause the no return issue.

Ever spun the car into something that doesn't move?
I drive through Manhattan everyday so I guess thats equal to offroading! But I do take it easy. I bent my Volks last winter and I dont want that to happen again.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah, definitley something up with the rack. good luck
Old 01-23-2007, 03:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

while we are on topic about EPS... my EPS went out a good 3 months ago and ive been driving it like that ever since.. should i unplug the EPS unit? i brought my car to a friends shop and he could not remedy nor find a solution to the problem.. he told me that there is current running into the EPS box, but i dont have power steering... also, the EPS indicator light is always on because of my problem... any idea whats wrong with it? should i unplug the EPS unit if i continue to drive it without power steering?

Quick Reply: EPS is acting up Problem found!