S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engines toast - what next?

Old 05-28-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engines toast - what next?

First off, this was the only place that seemed like the right place to put this thread, but I'm new here and could be wrong so sorry in advance if I'm wrong.

The story here is that a few weeks ago I bought a 2000 s2000 to use as a daily driver, and sold my truck that I was driving. A little more than a week later I was getting a solid oil pressure light at idle, so I parked it and began working to find what was wrong. I eventually found that my bearings were shot (brass flakes in the oil). I got a quote for a rebuild, but it would be over $5000. The mechanic recommended that I swap in a used motor instead. The point I'm at now is wondering if I should swap for another stock motor, put in something else (like a k24 with the adapter set from ballade sports), or try to rebuild it myself. I need to get it done quickly, since I need a car, but also as cheaply as I can get without cutting corners. I financed the car, so I can't really sell it. I'll probably end up getting another loan to fix it since I only have about $1000.

What would you guys do in my situation?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does your insurance cover anything..

if you can pick up a used engine, then, rebuild this one for spare, later, sell, turbo..

good luck

Old 05-28-2014, 04:49 PM

Don't think so, and the warranty doesn't cover preexisting problems
Old 05-28-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When my engine went south I searched high and low.. I have an AP1 as well and found a low mileage (25k) F22C (04-05) for $2300. I wanted to keep my 9,000rpm redline but with the mileage and price it was a no brainer. I found mine on a facebook s2000 for sale page, drove from FL to NC to get it.

It's hard to trust used engines but if you can find one from a wrecked car and are able to see it started or at the least a compression test it's a little easier to swallow. If I were you i'd go that route. Also, I parted out my old engine and was able to get $7-$800 out of the short block, manifolds, accessories. Good luck
Old 05-28-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find another s2000 motor. Put it in and there you go. If it were myself, and you have another vehicle to use while it is out of commission, I'd rebuild it in my garage.

If you are very mechanically inclined, and does thorough research, you can do it. I've done it when I didn't know what a motor consisted of. Ended up rebuilding, sleeving, and boosting a gsr motor into a 96 civic hatchback.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:33 PM

I'd probably rebuild it myself if I had something else to drive. Haven't been able to find a rebuild kit for it though. Anyone know where to get one?
Old 05-28-2014, 05:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by captain007
I'd probably rebuild it myself if I had something else to drive. Haven't been able to find a rebuild kit for it though. Anyone know where to get one?
It depends on what you need. You would have to pull the bottom end apart and see what damage is done beyond the bearings. You could be looking at replacing the crank and/or rods as well.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:45 PM

I'm hoping the rods are ok, since I'm not getting any knocking, and the rebuild quote included a new crank. I would look to see if I could get it turned first though.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea... understood...

well, your hearing all the ideas.. get a beater dd.. or, dig out a motor off some online somewhere someone has one... and parts can be acquired through various sources when you find out what it is you need..

Old 05-28-2014, 06:12 PM

Id pick up another motor. I think someone selling their engine+trans on the ny for sale fourm for like 1000 obo. Think there's something wrong with it tho, starting to have low comp on 1 cylinder. Buy that set up, put new rings and u golden! Imo. Good luck

Quick Reply: Engines toast - what next?