S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine won't idle

Old 08-10-2007, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of cleaning all this out... Because (as I mentioned before) I do not have a full set of tools with me in LA, I would prefer to keep the disassembly I do to a bare minimum. What are your thoughts on spraying some carb/choke cleaner into the intake while the car is running to clean out whatever may be left in the IACV? Bad for the engine? I realize some soot will get dislodged and go into the motor this way, but from looking at what came off the TB, I would say it's all very fine particulate and probably not going to do any harm.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 AM

I did that when I seafoamed my car couple of months back (through the throttle body and through one of the vacuum tubes). I was surprised at how dirty the inside of the intake manifold was. It ran SOOO much smoother after the process.. ( I didnt put the seafoam in the gas tank or in the oil, just the intake.. i used a little under half the container).. Not sure about the carb cleaner, I'm assuming it would be fine. good luck
Old 08-10-2007, 08:00 AM

Seafoam might be the better solution here. Any idea if I can get it locally in LA? Or do I need to mail order it?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Aug 9 2007, 07:45 PM
Most likely a Faulty IAC.

You can unbolt it from the intake manifold and spray it out with carb cleaner. If the idle comes back you're lucky. usually they will start idle surging and then you have to replace it.
Me too, up and down idle. DTC 1519, CEL ON. First day did it once when cold. Second day after it was warm when I was driving. Shutoff and restart temporarly fixed for the rest the day. CEL shuts OFF on it's own later that day (DTC 1519 still stored). Third day removed and thoroughly cleaned IAC from filthy to utterly pristine using Honda throttle plate cleaner. Check wiring at the IAC for voltage and continuity per the Helms, checked OK on both. Re-installed IAC and cleared stored DTC 1519 for ECU. Car runs great the rest of the day with a noticeably better/smooth idle.
Today (fourth day) I start the car, It hiccups and starts the up/down idle and the CEL comes on. It's still just the one DTC 1519, and the freeze frame say's it happened at 0RPM. I had to re-start it 3 times before it would cease the up/down crap.
I had already read in couple threads where you said once it codes or actually starts the up/down idle as opposed to just a dropping idle, the IAC would most likely need replacing. I had to try anyway, it was free and now I know I can replace it myself. I was hoping I had gotten lucky and dodged like $140.00 bullet. It does not appear so. Looks like I'm off to Honda parts tomorrow.
I still haven't pulled the kick panel to check the wiring at the ECU. Also one of the troubleshooting steps involves swapping in a known good ECU for testing. It's the one step from the troubleshooting procedure I can't do.
So I guess my question is: from your experience do you think it is most likely the IAC? Assuming the wiring checks out OK at the ECU also. Have you seen a failed ECU cause this? Any other tips you feel like offering?
Thanks.

EDIT: To remove and clean the IAC all I needed was:
3/8 ratchet with a 10mm 6pt. normal depth socket.
Pliers for the little hose clamps.
Paper towels (like a teaspoon of coolant spills when the upper small hose is removed and again when the IAC itself comes off the intake manifold)
spray bottle with water (used it to dilute the few drops of spilled coolant I couldn't get at)
Other stuff I used:
Shin Etsu (on the boot for the IAC 3p connector and the IAC gasket/o-ring itself)
Silicone Dielectric (on the contacts for the IAC 3p connector)
WD-40 (cleaning the IAC, much less effective than throttle plate/carb cleaner)
Honda Throttle Plate Cleaner (cleaning IAC, worked really well)
Rubbing Alcohol (to remove any WD-40/carb cleaner residue from the IAC chambers and groove for the rubber gasket)
Q-tips (use good light and magnification if necessary to make sure no fibers remain in IAC after cleaning)

Remove the 3p connector by locating the clip release located on the bottom of the 3p connector. Squeeze the clip release on the 3p connector through the rubber protective boot. Wiggle and pull the 3p connector by the boot/connector not the wire harness, while squeezing the release clip through the boot at the same time.
I found that tip from Billman250 in another thread.

I pulled the higher small hose off the IAC before I un-bolted it. I slid the clamp back on the lower small hose, but un-bolted the IAC from the manifold before removing the lower hose. It's a little awkward but once the IAC is un-bolted from the Intake Manifold it can be dropped slighty down and back (toward cabin firewall) and removed from the second/lower small coolant hose without disturbing the throttle cable or bracket.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=The Reverend,Aug 10 2007, 07:06 AM] Speaking of cleaning all this out...
Old 08-12-2007, 10:14 PM

My idle-fix was replacing my throttle positioning sensor (tps).

Good luck with yours.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:25 AM

I still haven't gone through to do all the cleaning, but I think the IAC and MAP passage are both excellent places to start looking.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rev, check the TPS on the TB (sounds like I'm being a smart-ass... "Excuse me, but if the VP is such a VIP, then shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? Cause if it leaks to the VC, he could end up an MIA and then we'd all be put on KP.").

MY TPS showed erratic voltage readings when sitting at idle... I think the wiper wore too much of the resistor away in that spot (too much time tapping the pedal while sitting at stop lights? ). It drove fine, and the engine sounded fine while the car was moving even while out of gear... once the speedometer hit 0, though, it chugged and died unless I gave it a continual touch of gas.

My only solution was to replace the entire TB as no one had a replacement TPS at the time. 45 minutes under the hood fixed it right up.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts

Have you tried doing nothing?

Seriously, sometimes the ECU gets a little wacky (yes, that's the technical term ) and it just needs to re-learn how to idle. This is a known and very common issue. So, when you come to a stop and the idle dips, DON'T give it gas. Let it stall if necessary, then restart it. Be patient; might have to do this several times. About a year ago I had to let my car stall 4 or 5 times on my way to work; eventually it learned, and by the evening commute it was idling flawlessly, and has ever since.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:47 AM

John - I think you're basically right (and it is indeed idling just fine now). I believe the reason WHY it's had to relearn is for the reasons everyone else is getting to - dust in the MAP pathway and the IACV. So I do still plan to do a cleaning when I have time, but it's a low-priority for the reason you stated.

Quick Reply: Engine won't idle