S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine warning lights

Old 08-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine warning lights

Next week i get my back, hopefully, and i have a question. when i drove it to the body shop, the engine light was on. i didnt even attempt to get the car into vtec. when i drive the car home next week, if the engine light is still on, what do i have to worry about? i don;t want to damage my motor.

btw: the engine light i assume is on because i broke the hose on the air compressor.

am i going to be able to vtec the car next week safely before i get it to honda?
Old 08-27-2004, 01:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Check Engine Light is probably on because it has recorded and "intermittant fault" in the air pump system. This was probably a result of starting the engine with the hose not attached. If that is the case, it is perfectly safe to drive your car normally. The air pump is an emissions control device that only operates during cold starts.

You can check the CEL code by getting someone with an OBDII decoder to read it for you (dealer, car parts shop, etc.) or by jumping two of the terminals and reading the flashing code signal. Check the FAQ.

You can also reset the ECU. Most likely, that will erase the code, turn off the light, and all will be fine. Again, read the FAQ. If the light comes back on after you have reset it, then obviously the problem still exists and you will need to take care of it.

Or you could take it to the dealer. What they will do is read the code and reset the ECU. And charge you about $100, probably.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Former Moderator

the light won't reset itself once the hose is connected once again?

im just worried about damaging the vtec, ive heard from someone that it won't properly opperate the vtec solinoid when the engine light is on.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this true?? i have a cel light on in my01...because i installed a air/fuel ratio meter...does anybody know if it affects the v-tec??? and how do we find out if our v-tec is working properly??( without driving it of course, if its possible..)
Old 08-27-2004, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Guedo512,Aug 27 2004, 03:49 PM
the light won't reset itself once the hose is connected once again?

im just worried about damaging the vtec, ive heard from someone that it won't properly opperate the vtec solinoid when the engine light is on.
The CEL is an emissions warning system. Sometimes things that are bad for emissions are also bad for other reasons, but the CEL basically has nothing to do with the VTEC system.

Based on what you described, I am fairly certain the CEL is on because of the air pump. I don't know if it will go off by itself for the air pump the way it will for a loose gas cap.

When I had the same thing happen last month, I jumped the OBDII connector and it flashed the air pump code. I reset the ECU and have had no problems since. Including a day at the track, where you might imagine I spent a significant amount of time at high RPMs.

If you have any reason to suspect it is anything other than the air pump, just check the code and see.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Former Moderator

is their a way to turn the key a couple of times making the CEL flash a certain amount of intervals to reveal a code? my eclipse could do this, and i had a print out of the codes.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Guedo512,Aug 27 2004, 11:47 PM
is their a way to turn the key a couple of times making the CEL flash a certain amount of intervals to reveal a code? my eclipse could do this, and i had a print out of the codes.
http://www.baustnet.com/honda/misc/dtc.htm
Old 08-27-2004, 11:59 PM

On a 2002, the OBDII connector is on the driver's side of the tunnel, not the passenger's side. Except for that difference, the instructions are still valid.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:20 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 28 2004, 12:58 AM
thank you. im going to disconnect the battery for a little and see what happens. if that desnt work ill try this.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Guedo512,Aug 29 2004, 11:20 AM
thank you. im going to disconnect the battery for a little and see what happens. if that desnt work ill try this.
You don't have to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU. This will require you to have the radio code and to reprogram all your stations. Pulling the "BACK UP" fuse under the dash will accomplish the same thing without giving your radio an aneurism.

Quick Reply: Engine warning lights