S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.
View Poll Results: Engine vs Rotor Braking
Engine, baby!
22.94%
They're only brake pads!
40.37%
Depends...
36.70%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Engine vs Rotor Braking

Old 09-19-2002, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jzr
[B]
Two S2000s: one is on a perpetual uphill, fuel and air coming in, "explosion in the combustion chamber", car moving up hill.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:06 PM
jzr

Originally posted by Bieg

The one going uphill provided the engine is not lugging.
I don't buy it. I'm by no means an automotive engineer but I gather that you aren't either. How is it that parts subjected to the huge heat and pressure from the explosions of combustion will outlast those same parts moving in the same manner but with only a fraction of the heat and stress? It's certainly against my intuition.

Unfortunately there's probably only 1 or 2 people on this board really qualified to say one way or the other and odds are they wouldn't bother to get involved...
Old 09-19-2002, 05:01 PM
jzr

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bieg
[B]At Last someone who can actually read and comprehend the original question.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:43 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

jrz

I agree with much of what you have to say. I have been amazed by this thread. Not so much by the answers, I don't believe there is one good answer, but by the lack of tolerance for a differing opinions. I am also amazed how many of us project our situation/experience on everyone else. Through out this thread I had the feeling that many were saying, "This is how I do it so you must too." Unfortunately, that does not lead to the exchange of ideas.

I found it striking that many people were against engine braking because of the stress it puts on the car yet in many other threads people are dropping their clutch to engage in traffic light olympics. You can't have it both ways!

I don't race. I drive my S for the sheer enjoyment of it. I live in the mild mountains of New Jersey and go out of my way to find twisty back roads. My driving does not put the kind of stress on the car that racing does. Nor do I move at the kind of speeds where I have to be concerned with engine braking shifting the weight and balance of the car. For me it is a fun thing to do. If I have to replace my clutch a little sooner, so be it. It is the dues I pay to enjoy the drive. Many of us see it that way, and for those of you who don't, well, this is right for us.

I was surprised by how many people used "lifeboat" examples. All engine or all brakes. Get real. No one that I know never engine brakes. No one that I know never uses the brakes to stop. Only in arguments where the participants have something to prove does this happen. I found that real disappointing.

And finally, if someone posts a question, and the answers meander, what is wrong with that. The whole point of an exchange of ideas is to explore thoughts and concepts, and to learn something new. In spite of what many of us may think, none of us knows it all.

Jrz, and all others who, like me, use engine braking, thanks for speaking out and not allowing this thread to be one sided. For me, I still think that downshifting (of course rev-matching etc.) is the "art" of driving a manual transmission. I don't recall who it was but yes, an artfully executed downshift is like the ballet.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:04 PM

Some of you just don't get it. Nobody says you should coast out of gear and just use your brakes. You should always be in the correct gear to match your road speed so you can easily accelerate at any time. That does not mean you should "artfully" downshift through the gears to "slow the car down".

Anyone who thinks that is the reason for downshifting should learn a little something about driving.

Of course this is the internet so everyone has an opinion but that does not make it correct.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elistan
[B]

Wow.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:30 PM

BTW- If you even come close to rev-matching with the S2K it is very gentle on the syncros, and no double-clutching is required(though you do need to give the syncros a nano-second or so to do their job. Similarly, If the revs are reasonably well matched when you re-engage the clutch there is almost no stress placed upon the clutch/drivetrain. Clutch in; throttle to slightly exceed rev-match during downshift; clutch back out passing through rev-match point. It's a good thing.

I just Love this thread!
Old 09-20-2002, 04:53 AM

Originally posted by S2K2GO!!!
I just Love this thread!
Happy to oblige!
Old 09-20-2002, 12:42 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by S2K2GO!!!

Gosh, I don't know- I've never been in 5th gear at 45 mph, rarely even 4th for that matter.
Actually, that's not the point I'm trying to get at. I'm trying to understand your braking process. Perhaps 45mph in 3rd gear, while approaching a red light? Or whatever works best for you.

Thanks,
Old 09-20-2002, 02:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I used to give an answer when this question was asked but I won't anymore. And judging by the kinds of replies here, I'm glad I didn't - too many "know it alls" who insist that "It's my way or the highway". I drive my way and it works for me. You drive your way and if it works, fine. If it doesn't, then change it. Other than that, "I know nothing!"

Quick Reply: Engine vs Rotor Braking