S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.
View Poll Results: Engine vs Rotor Braking
Engine, baby!
22.94%
They're only brake pads!
40.37%
Depends...
36.70%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Engine vs Rotor Braking

Old 09-13-2002, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine vs Rotor Braking

As those who know me well will attest I am not terribly knowledgeable about cars. That is why I ask lots of questions of those who are, especially when it comes to my S2K. This is a question/poll...

Which is better, engine braking or rotor braking? If it's dependent on the situation, please elaborate.

I have always been one to engine brake, by downshifting, when I have the time/space to do it and use the regular brakes when I don't.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:21 AM

So far several people have voted "Depends..." but no details as to why. Please add your comments about situational use of engine braking.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2002, 10:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Brakes all the way. Brakes are cheaper and easier to replace than an engine.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The only reason I believe someone would engine break is to help prevent brake fade on the track. It will put more wear on the engine, transmission, and clutch, but it could be necessary to prevent brake failure. I don't like engine breaking, because it is easy to throw the car off balance when it is on the edge.

On the street, I think it is outright a bad idea to engine break, since drivetrain components are so much more expensive to repair than brake pads.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:42 AM

Brakes!

Except for the other day, when I had to drive back from the track with nothing left on my front pads! Made it home ~50 miles with only touching my brakes three times.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:45 AM

Brakes are a lot easier and cheaper to replace than a clutch!
Old 09-13-2002, 10:52 AM

I voted brakes but I'll give a "depends" scenario that just occurred to me:

I accelerate from a stop and go from 1-2 gear. I need to slow for a turn coming up so I lift off the gas - effectively engine braking - and take the turn in 2. As opposed to upshifting and then immediately clutching and downshifting for the turn. Again it's all about saving wear on your clutch.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

depends...

y?

Because I use both.

On the track I never really coast, but when I am braking the car is in gear. So both techically are braking, tho the brakes are more. I love hard braking on the track. Man does our car stop.

On the street. 100% brakes. Clutch in or car in neutral.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:58 AM

Engine braking when possible is always better and will not cause wear. How do you use the depends? Do you drag them behind the car, or do you wear them for when your brakes fail?
Old 09-13-2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by chipperman
Engine braking when possible is always better and will not cause wear. How do you use the depends? Do you drag them behind the car, or do you wear them for when your brakes fail?
Actually, they work really well if you sew a bunch together and pop them out of your trunk for a drag chute !

Hey, really, thanks EVERYONE for your insight. I've always been an engine braker for stops where I have a lot of room to do it to minimize the wear on my brakes. Especially for a high performance car like ours I can definitely see the value in wearing out those pads. Besides, if the rotors wear out or warp I can just buy some spiffy cross-drilled powedercoated ones!

Quick Reply: Engine vs Rotor Braking