S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Trouble

Old 01-16-2005, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Trouble

I was driving last night and all of a sudden while I am trying to accelerate I start to hear a knocking sound. I immediately turned and started to head home. The "knocking" noise continued and I also noticed that when trying to accelerate it wasn't smooth at all and it seemed the engine was struggling to produce any power. Then the CEL light came on. When I slowed down to turn into my development the car stalled in the turn (going approx 20 mph). I restarted it, but had to step on the gas in order for it to turn over. I slowed down to make one more turn and it stalled again. I started it one more time to get it to my house. Once at the house I got out and opened the hood. The engine was idling very rough and was making the knocking sound. The best way to describe the sound would be like a bolt or something came undone and was getting jumbled all around (not sure if that makes sense). There was also a weird smell. Then the car stalled one last time just sitting there.

I checked the oil and it's only down a couple X's (so nothing too bad there). I know I need to pull the code from the OBDII, but I wanted to see if anyone here has an idea of what could have happened. All of this occurred in approx 3 miles of driving.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-16-2005, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dosent sound good, tow it to a dealer.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:27 AM

Any past problems or repairs? How many miles? What kind of mods?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:38 AM

No problems whatsoever. It has ~65,000 miles on it. As for mods, the only thing would be a new clutch setup (ACT heavy duty PP, OEM disc, Comptech flywheel). Everything else is stock.

I realize it doesn't sound good and am prob going to tow it to the dealership on Monday, but I want to see if anyone knows what this could be.

Maybe thrown a rod?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:42 AM

If you have access to a scan tool or code reader, without having to drive the S2000, I would try and pull the code before taking it to the dealership. If not, I'd pull off the rocker cover and check things out, and maybe drop the pan. Tell you real quick if it was bottom end or top end, or maybe even something as simple as plugs.

Good luck.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:18 PM

I believe that your crankshaft thrust washer/bearing has been spit out and is now being sloshed around in the oil pan. The knocking sound is being made by the crank sliding back and forth on its axis and is banging into the the ends of the block. The thrust washer/bearing is there to keep the crank from sliding under torque. I'll bet that your CEL code will point to an oil pressure issue with the VTEC oil pressure sensor. I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how this turned out.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:47 PM

ooh...Dosn't sound good please let us no what was wrong wen u find out.GOOD LUCK
Old 01-16-2005, 09:10 PM

That was a good suggestion to check the oil pan. If you have the tools, drain the oil and drop the oil pan(crankcase). If my theory is correct, you'll see a "Y" shaped washer in the pan. If you want the dealer to do it, they'll charge you a minimum of $400 to do this simple troubleshooting task.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:34 AM

The more and more Ive thought about this, the more Ive decided to troubleshoot before going to the dealer. I am going to try and get an OBDII scanner tool and then pull the code first. I guess depending on what codes get pulled will determine the actions I take.

Thanks for the suggestions ol' Dood and Alex!

If anyone else has any input please feel free to post. The more input the better.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:56 AM

Any luck with the codes? If you're having trouble getting the OBDII device to work let me know and I can stop by with my laptop.

Sorry I had to rush but I had to pick up one of the kids right after you left.

Quick Reply: Engine Trouble