S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine ticking, shavings in oil?

Old 09-16-2017, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine ticking, shavings in oil?

Hi guys.

I noticed my engine has been making this ticking/knocking sound at idle, however it drives fine under load. Today I noticed a few drops of oil on my driveway as I was pulling out, so I decided to jack up the car to have a look. Here is what I found:

There are two puddles of oil on the metal rivets on the passenger side of the oil pan, right below the headers. This can't be a rear main seal leak because I park on a slight incline. Where could this leak be coming from?

Also while I was down here, I decided I would go ahead and do an oil change. After I drained the oil and poured the old oil in a container, I saw shavings at the bottom of my oil collect pan! These shavings were clearly visible to the eye, and they were completely black (no silver or copper pieces at all). I used a decently powerful magnet to see if they were magnetic at all, and they were not. What could this be from, and how worried should I be? Maybe some of the gasket maker found it's way into the oil pan? You can see in the first picture that the gasket is sloppy and overflowing on the outside. Here's a picture of the black shavings I found:

Lastly, I recorded a video with the car at idle to show the ticking sound. I do not know when or if the TCT was replaced, or when a valve adjustment was done as I've only had the car for a few months. The ticking/knocking is definitely noticeable at idle, however there is no 'rod knock' sound when you rev it or drive the car at all. Here is a link to the video:

I know this is quite a few things going on at once, but I don't even know where to start with this. I'm mostly concerned about the black shavings. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:53 PM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Oil leak could be from vtec solenoid, oil filter ,something above or even oil pan. Looks like someone went crazy with hondabond. Black shavings, cut open oil filter and check vtec solenoid screen, are they hard?

Hard to tell but sounds like some what of a knock. I would not drive the car , you will thank yourself.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
Oil leak could be from vtec solenoid, oil filter ,something above or even oil pan. Looks like someone went crazy with hondabond. Black shavings, cut open oil filter and check vtec solenoid screen, are they hard?

Hard to tell but sounds like some what of a knock. I would not drive the car , you will thank yourself.
There were no signs of oil leaking from the oil filter when I checked before I replaced it. I will go ahead and buy some new vtec solenoid gaskets to see if that fixes the leak. The black shavings were hard. It is hard to tell whether it's a tick or a knock, but there's no knocking sound at all when driving which is confusing me.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:28 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

That oil leak looks to be from the crappy hondabond job the previous owner did. I would be concerned that someone so careless was in there messing around and why. I do hear a faint noise, that could be rod knock, but it doesn't seem too different than the "normal noise" some others experience. You will need to drop the pan to fix that leak, when you do that you will get a good peak at what is inside the pan, if you have shavings you have problems.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

let us know what you find.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

+2 on what starchland said, CUT OPEN the old oil filter(cut the can off) and look at the filter paper and see if it has the same stuff on it. The oil flows from the outside to the inside of the filter so all the junk will be around the outside of the filter paper. Let us know what you find.

ROD
Old 09-18-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

Did you just buy this car?
Old 09-18-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 419 Likes on 383 Posts

I would remove sump and inspect it for cracks,also check engine mounting studs have not gone through block !!
Old 03-11-2018, 07:33 PM

sorry this might be a little late but did you find what was wrong im also experiencing the same situation as you and id like to know what you found..
Old 03-12-2018, 05:24 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

+1 cut open the filter....see if any are magnetic. Wouldn't be the worst idea to send a sample to blackstone either.

Quick Reply: Engine ticking, shavings in oil?