S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine ticking ( not a tct thread )

Old 02-15-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine ticking ( not a tct thread )

hey guys,
So the s2k has been ticking for a few weeks now. its very noticeable at idle and the ticks become faster as i rev. Ive changed the TCT, didnt help. Ive gotten a valve adjustment, no dice. Changed oil and everything else i could think of. Some mechanic that i took it to says i need new rocker arms which would be an expensive job, and i think hes just trying to run me dry. Any ideas on what this could be guys?
Thanks
Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 AM

Bump, come on guys.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think a little ticking id normal. Mine gets louder as oil level drops.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You say you had valve adjustment, how were your retainers?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:41 PM

IMO rockers are not a normal wear item and your mechanic is a jackass. It takes a LOT of miles before cams start to wear significantly. I've seen older Hondas with 300k+ miles and the cam still looks brand new.

The only way you'd have an issue in the head that you haven't covered is if there is if there were some actual binding that tore up the rocker assembly. It would be possible due to oil starvation. I found this to be the case when I cracked open my ap1 to replace the retainers and cotters. There was a significant amount of damage on the #5 cam cap and intake cam. There was a very slight tick which I had attributed to the need for a rocker adjustment.

Have you visually inspected your rocker assembly? Are there any discolored cam caps? Like a darker shade than the rest? If so I'd disassemble and check for damage.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my car ticks, a lil bit is normal
Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 PM

Hey guys, I'm aware of the normal ticking and trust me, this isn't along those lines. I've never hear if an s2k owner with rocker arm problems. Apparently I need 8 rocket arms at about 200 bucks each, so as you can see I hope this isn't the problem. If anyone in the Atlanta area wants to check the car out this weekend that would be just awesome.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 03:30 AM

I'd offer to take a look but i'm already tied up for the weekend. DO NOT pay this guy all that money. If needed you can buy a good used complete head on here for $300-450. Take the vc off and snap some pictures of everything. Who did your valve adjustment? What specs did they use?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:42 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Im not buying the diagnosis for a second.

The only time I have seen a bad rocker was from a retanier cracked so bad it was touching the rocker. Even then, it made no noise at all.

Do you know how to pull the valve cover? Now is a good time to learn.

If you do go looking for a used head, make sure it comes with rocker assemblies. But I'm pretty sure this is not the case.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:43 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the input so far. I'm goin home this weekend so I'll take my VC off and have some pictured on here Friday afternoon.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine ticking ( not a tct thread )