S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

engine ticking/clicking sound

Old 07-07-2009, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine ticking/clicking sound

hi guys:
my car is making the engine ticking/clicking sound, the sound seems to come from the front of the engine, can't tell if it's louder on the exhaust side or the intake side. It is only audible @ idle, reved to 2500-3500 rpm, couldn't hear the noise. this is what I have done so far to pin point the problem:
opened up valve cover, everything looks intact, no cupping/cracking on the retainer, no wear on cams either
checked valve clearance on cyl # 1, seems ok
checked oil, level is OK, oil doesn't look dazed or anything,
checked compression ratio on all 4 cylinders, all in the 210-220 range
no oil on the spark plug
oil pressure reading OK, exhaust gas temp reading OK
did the pulling coils when car is in idle test, all 4 cylinders are doing the same thing:
noise is less when a single coil is pulled
as for the car itself, it's running on toda pistons and cams, but I doubt if it's the source of problem, installation was done by an authorized toda dealer in the states.
one thing I noticed: the noise seems to be less if the car is parked on level ground, while more audible if car is parked on an inclined surface.
car has been well taken care off, full synthetic oil @ every oil change, 3000 km/2000 miles between changes

I did search for similar symptom, seems it rules out the #4 cyl failure problem
any inputs will be welcome
Old 07-07-2009, 03:02 AM

Front of engine ticking sound @ low rpm...sounds like timing chain tensioner?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:24 AM

is the tensioner noise high frequency like a washing machine or just tack tack tack sound?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:16 PM

update:
using the wrench on ear trick, I found out that there is more vibration on the vtec solenoid and timing belt tensioner, I can't tell if they are what's making the noise. the vibration from valve cover is considerably less, it also seems vibration from under the tensioner is less as well, also, no vibration from timing chain front cover.
since a solenoid can't make that kind of noise at all, i am inclined to believe it's the TCT.
I know there is a youtube clip of tensioner noise, but I can't access youtube due to my stupid ISP, can someone post a mp3 file of the sound clip? thanks
to better describe the noise, it seems like metal tapping/valve misadjusted, no noise @ cold start up, once the car is warmed up the noise appears.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM

Yup, its the TCT, I just changed mine yesterday.

It made a clicking sound on warm start-ups/idle, and as soon a u give it gas, it goes away, right? Its the TCT
Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search on TCT...there is a vid posted to help you determine if that is your problem.

Otherwise, can you make a vid of your car's noise so we can hear it? It's hard to diagnose with out that.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:50 AM

negcamber:
I did the search on TCT, found the link to youtube, just I can't access them since youtube is blocked here.
before I try record the noise, if I indeed have a busted TCT, wouldn't it cause harm just starting up the engine?
mtl:
was urs kinda like metal clicking sound? kinda sound like valve just louder?
Old 07-08-2009, 12:05 PM

common promble ...easy fix ....its the tct ...no damage from the sound
Old 07-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is the TCT, no immediate danger from cranking the car long enough to take a vid.

Running the car for a couple of months with a bad TCT is asking for trouble though.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by negcamber,Jul 8 2009, 08:51 PM
If it is the TCT, no immediate danger from cranking the car long enough to take a vid.

Running the car for a couple of months with a bad TCT is asking for trouble though.
Would it get loud enough that someone would know there was an issue before it would cause any damage?? Because mine started making a slight tapping/rattle noise upon startup, it seemed to just start after I changed the oil this last time.

I am one that is completely perinoid, and the noise is so faint and goes away pretty quickly, so I am thinking it may just be a normal Honda engine noise. But if it could go south quickly even if the noise is not super loud maybe I should get it checked out.

Quick Reply: engine ticking/clicking sound