S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine tapping noise. --- Vid Inside

Old 10-25-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine tapping noise. --- Vid Inside

Was just driving under normal conditions and it started making this tapping noise...

Seems to happen all the time (not just cold starts like what I though people say TCT does). It's easier to hear below 1500 RPM, but its definitely still there above that, its just not audible due to intake and other engine noise.

Car has <50k miles. Oil is < 1000 miles old... full synthetic, and WAS a little bit low, but added some and it is still making the sound.

Anyways... without further ado, here is the vid:

http://s537.photobucket.com/albums/ff332/m...2509_142100.flv

If you have any other questions, I'll try and answer best I can.

I'm guessing TCT but I thought I'd get some more opinions before buying the part.

I realize its probably hard to do over video/internet, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 10-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow that doesn't sound too good. It's in between piston slap or rod knock, but I'll let experts chime in...

I'd pull the oil pan to see how things look down there.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, and/or cut your oil filter in two and look inside. If it's rods, you ought to see a nice collection of metal in the filter.

Sounds like rods to me. Take the coil cover off and disconnect and re-connect the coils one at a time (the electric connector, don't pull the coilpack). If the knocking goes away on one cylinder, you found your bad rod. I think disconnecting the injectors one at a time might give you the same affect. The point is to make each cylinder stop firing one at a time.

Are you sure it's not an exhaust leak?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:32 PM

UPDATE:

I just turned it on again to let a friend listen to it, and it didn't make the noise at idle... so I'm assuming that means it can't be rod knock or piston slap since I don't think that can go away like that...

Right now I'm thinking either something wrong with the valve or valve springs or something else in the valve train...

It definitely sounds like its coming from the top end...
Old 10-25-2009, 02:35 PM

Valve lash???

J
Old 10-25-2009, 03:28 PM

UPDATE:

Back to happening at idle. It seems to be varying a LOT as far as loudness and speed of the click.

@Elroy, valves were SUPPOSED to be checked and adjusted last time I took it in. I think that was about a month ago. They SHOULD be fine, but I'll put that down under the list of possibilities. Thanks.

Any other opinions on what it could be?
Old 10-25-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that's TCT. TCT is more of a click/ticking noise and it's not that loud. (then again its kind of hard to tell how loud it really is in the vid since the distance of the camera can affect the way it's recorded) Plus the ticking from the 2 that i've heard have been pretty consistent in speed.

Exhaust leak in my experience sounds like a whipping/swishing noise that happens at cold start ups/when the car has been sitting but goes away once the engine warms up.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Banned

Every now and then I hear a heavy knocking when you rev it but, not all the time. I think you should do the oil filter thing and look for metal,. If you don't find any then it's not likely to be rods. If you find gold colored powder, it's time to park it.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes, that doesnt sound good at all. I wouldnt be driving it like that. If you drop a valve your whole motor is screwed. Like the other guys said check for any metal shavings or anything. If you dont find any, then I would pull the valve cover and inspect everything and grab a feeler gauge to make sure your valve lash is all set correct.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most Definitely NOT TCT, I agree with rod knock... Id have it towed to a shop immediately for further diagnosis. Compression and leakdown, check oilpan and filter. That will help you rule out what you need hopefully, GL with this!

Quick Reply: Engine tapping noise. --- Vid Inside