S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine takes too long to start!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:41 AM

Received 3,535 Likes on 2,539 Posts

if the plugs were replaced a month ago I don't think they would be brown that quick. Measure the gaps of the plugs yourself and see if the gaps have opened up or if the center electrode has worn down. Get a wire spark plug guage and see if .043" or .044" slide in the gap without any force or touching of metal. If they go in without touching any part of the plug then you know they are worn out and are old plugs. If they touch any metal then stop and don't force them in as the plugs will likely be properly gapped. It will give you an idea of how old the plugs are.

There are lots of people running spoon TB's without hard starting issues. Judging by how hard it was to get the spark plugs out (and your previous tire pressure matter), I wouldn't trust anything on that vehicle based on what the previous owner has told you. Basically I'm just saying to do your own research to make sure the car is maintained like it should be, rather than taking the old owner's word for it. GL
Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did measure the gap, it was 1.0mm exact. (as the manual suggests it should be)
so i do believe him that they were replaced recently.

i bought a tool today so this evening i will take out the last one to see its condition. i bought one replacement spark plug from ebay today to replace the chipped one. same part number ngk platinum (OE). tried to buy locally but they dont stock this part number .. strange

jfusion, what do you think i should do next re this matter? replace the throttle body? he did give me the original one. but not the air intake - dont know what happened to that one.
as such it doesnt bother me THAT much. i only started thinking about it when an ex-s2000 owner commented that his car used to start immediately.
mine takes long to start if its cold, or if it hasnt been used for 30 mins or more, for example.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

WHy don't you shoot a video of the car starting up so we can all see how long you're talking about.

FYI - if it's slow to crank, it could be the battery. HELLO

Intakes don't add for 33hp to a motor that is already at it's limits. You might pick up 5-10... but iffy.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 AM

its not just the intake .. theres the spoon throttle body, mugen exhaust and mugen ecu.
i just assumed it would be around 280. maybe its just 260. i honestly couldnt care less. its very quick imo, all i could wish for is that it handles the power well.

i will take a vid today. how and where will i upload it so u guys can see it?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:28 AM

hey all .. managed to remove the last plug with the new socket i bought (after having to machine it .. !)

anyway check out the pics:

after cleaning it with a soft wire-brush and some petrol:

doesnt look like anything is wrong i think ... ?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 AM

i also took a very crappy video of the car starting.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7112/mvi4199.mp4
Old 03-30-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get new plugs.

if the dude used platinum's like he said, iridiums are superior in every way.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:56 AM

Did you try putting the battery on a charger or hooking it up to another car and jumping it to see if it starts faster? I would think that would be the first thing you should do, When I finally replaced my batt. I was amazed how much faster it started.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:00 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

you bought one spark plug? Might as well change them all to the iridiums and be done with it.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:29 PM

havent yet tried to charge the battery. but i will try that. maybe tomorrow.

yes i've only bought one plug.. i have too much expenses right now to be honest and the iridium ones are expensive like the platinums. i bought this one plug for about 14 euro.
i will replace them some other time. i felt guilty replacing them just after two months.

Quick Reply: Engine takes too long to start!