S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine swap advice!

Old 04-01-2014, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap advice!

Hey everybody, A fellow S2K owner needs help from Kandahar Afghanistan. I've heard of people swapping rotary engines, LS1s and 2JZs into their s2ks. I don't have too much time between mission to do a bunch of research so i im looking for input from all of you so i have a place to start. Any experience or advice will be greatly appreciated I have an 03 S2K with a blown motor(A large steel chuck of a flatbed semi trailer fell of the truck on a rainy day and I didn't see it before it was too late) which is pretty much stock. I also have about 40% of a turbo kit which I had been collecting right up until the motor accident. Thanks for the help everybody.
James
Old 04-01-2014, 11:43 PM

What are you trying to do with the car?
Old 04-02-2014, 04:16 AM

Are you saying something fell off a truck and punctured your engine? Any pics?

Let's back up a bit. What is you fabrication skill level? Budget? Time frame?

If you don't have research time, do you have build time?

Maybe just buy a built stroker motor and turbo from there?
Old 04-02-2014, 04:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keith P
Are you saying something fell off a truck and punctured your engine? Any pics?

Let's back up a bit. What is you fabrication skill level? Budget? Time frame?

If you don't have research time, do you have build time?

Maybe just buy a built stroker motor and turbo from there?
These are all very important questions, as well as what your intended use of the car is. Of course your easiest option would be to just swap n drop an F20C or F22C.

Also: Jesus christ for the love of god and all that is good, do NOT try to put a rotary engine in an S2000. Besides the fact that this would probably be the most difficult out of all the swaps you listed, it would also be the most impractical. Rotaries are absolute garbage and you'll have an impossibly hard time finding anyone to work on one, not to mention the cost of parts and upkeep are MUCH higher and more tedious than a piston/rod engine.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:39 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

There's only 3 moving parts and 6 apex seals, the only problem with rotaries is they're only good for about 75,000 miles before they need a rebuild, and that's with meticulous care.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to mention burning lots of oil and gas. I respect it but definitely wouldn't want to swap a rotary in anything.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:29 PM

As far as skill level goes,im having a buddies shop do the work. My time frame , i'm deployed in afghanistan for the next 8 months so i've got time. My budget, i would like to keep it under 6k, there is room to stretch it but i feel like 6k should do it. I dont have pics here with me they're on a flash drive back home and yes the winch of the trailer trashed my oil pan. What i want out of it would be a little bit faster (nothin crazy) s2000 with more torque that turns a few heads at the occasional drag strip trip. It still needs to be a daily driven car.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:39 PM

I personally just finished a K24 swap and absolutely love it. The mid range is amazing and the engine fits in well. It's also not an overly complicated swap to do with many companies offering mounts and solutions to almost all of the obstacles the swap presents. It can certainly be done for about 6k as I was in that range but I did all of the work myself. The added cost of labor may make any of those swaps listed come out of your budget range. I'm hoping to post up a full build thread in the next few weeks once I have everything all buttoned up. I'll post a link if I remember to.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by bendang2005
Not to mention burning lots of oil and gas. I respect it but definitely wouldn't want to swap a rotary in anything.

not to mention the cooling systems aren't worth a shit either
Old 04-02-2014, 06:36 PM

I vote go turbo if you don't want anything crazy. GT28 or GT30

Quick Reply: Engine swap advice!