S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine surge at 6.5k

Old 02-01-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine surge at 6.5k

Hello all,

I think i've done my due diligence searching google, and the forums to see if this problem has been covered, but no dice.

The S is an 01 with 27,000 miles on it. I have an intermittent issue when accelerating and approaching around 6.5k rpm (possibly related to when v-tec kicks in?) and the engine will surge drastically...causing me to back off the accelerator. This has only happened about 4 or 5 times, I don't think I was ever wide open throttle when the problem occurred. Trying to add as much detail as I can, I think that the engine was somewhat cold every time this happened. The car lurches a bit when the surge occurs, its almost like when a clutch is slipping, but the clutch seems absolutely fine. No CEL comes on, and I don't think the tach is jumping way up in RPMs when this occurs...though it could be that it happens so quick that I am missing it. I've had the car for eight months, have put about 3,000 miles on. This problem didn't occur at all last summer. I'm only driving her once every few weeks when the weather clears.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

vtec doesnt work unless the car is warm
Old 02-02-2014, 04:50 AM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremicium
I think that the engine was somewhat cold every time this happened
if that's the case your car is normal.
Be 100% sure its warmed up, then look for a problem.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the two responses...I was hoping for a bit more. So let me get this right, for the engine to surge like that is normal if the car is not properly warmed up? As in, others have experienced this same thing?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes PCM prevents you from getting on it until the car reads 3 bars.. You shouldnt be at 9k on a cold engine anyway..
Old 02-04-2014, 04:53 PM

im sorry for sounding like an ass, but why the f@#k would you rev a cold motor out? I take it common sense must have passed you by
Old 02-04-2014, 05:47 PM

LOL I do not even move the car before 4 bars, let alone taking it to 9k.
That engine won't last you long if you keep doing that cold revving.
Engine oil has to be warm enough to work you know.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

"warming up" the car before driving is pointless.
Hop in and drive it is the fastest way and correct way to warm up car. Just dont mash on the gas till its operating temp.
Cars were not made to idle.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:07 PM

Here is the answer for 6.5 surge.

Source: http://www.tuneruniv...il-temperature/
If the engine is way too cold (ie, the coolant hasn’t even come up to temps), it’s not making its ideal power either. VTEC engines actually do not engage VTEC unless the coolant is up to temperature, for example – this is true of many other variable valve timing technologies as well. Think of it as Honda trying to save you from yourself.

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
"warming up" the car before driving is pointless.
Hop in and drive it is the fastest way and correct way to warm up car. Just dont mash on the gas till its operating temp.
Cars were not made to idle.
Source: http://www.bobistheo.../motor-oil-102/
Remember that most engine wear occurs at startup when the oil is too thick to lubricate properly. It cannot flow and therefore cannot lubricate. Most of the thick oil at startup actually goes through the bypass valve back to the engine oil sump and not into your engine oil ways. This is especially true when you really step on that gas pedal. You really need more lubrication and you actually get less.

This one is for motorcycles but there are some useful info in there.
http://motorcycleinf....com/Oils1.html

I would love to read any info/research or any other source you can give tho...
Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremicium
Thanks for the two responses...I was hoping for a bit more. So let me get this right, for the engine to surge like that is normal if the car is not properly warmed up? As in, others have experienced this same thing?
No more info necessary. When the motor is cold the motor will cut fuel at 6000 RPMS to save itself

Quick Reply: Engine surge at 6.5k