S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

engine start up

Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search on "timing chain tensioner"
Old 10-18-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks ej..
thanks sounds like the problem we are having. i would never have known to look for that.

Here is one of the links that I read when I did the search:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=S...dpost&p=7078366
Old 12-30-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i have this same noise, only on cold mornings, and it was NOT the TCT (I replaced it). after doing some searching, I read some people describing a noise as a chattering that fades as the RPMs drop, known to be valve chatter. This is not my noise. This noise occurs on the very first combustion cycle and disappears instantly. It is best described as a PSHHHH! sound (or ZZZtchhh! as j03chu described).
In fact, I'm almost positive it's the starter, the sound is unmistakeable. My question is, why does this only happen on cold mornings? When I start my car at 830AM, the sound occurs, at 10AM it doesn't. Why is it so temperature sensitive (probably a 10 degree difference)?
Old 12-31-2006, 10:03 AM

I have had this same problem for the past 2 years. Sometimes I get that weird sound after start-up. This usually happens after the car has been sitting for the night, or up to 8 hours.

Someone mentioned the battery, and although I haven't gotten this problem fixed, I don't think its the battery because I just put a brand new one in last week and I still have the sound sometimes after start-up.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:29 AM

I would point my finger at the Timing tensioner or the overrunning clutch on the starter.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:38 PM

mine never makes noise but dies the first start when its cold(below 30`) I can start it again and its good to go.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happens to me in cold mornings here in the NE and its the starter grinding after pushing the button. the reason I know this is if you try to start the car after it is started,(clutch pedal in and push starter button) it makes the same exact noise.
It sounds like our cars don't have an anti grind mechanism. Don't worry nothing is wrong.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FitzyS2k,Jan 1 2007, 03:27 PM
this happens to me in cold mornings here in the NE and its the starter grinding after pushing the button. the reason I know this is if you try to start the car after it is started,(clutch pedal in and push starter button) it makes the same exact noise.
It sounds like our cars don't have an anti grind mechanism. Don't worry nothing is wrong.
You are right, that is what's happening, but I think there are consequences. I've been told this can cause premature wear on the flywheel and starter. Not quite sure how the flywheel is damaged but that's what I was told. The problem became more common after I had my new clutch/flywheel installed in September. Not sure if this was a coincidence or if it had something to do with the install. After said install, I also get a noise from the clutch pedal, as if something's not lubricated (although it moves smoothly). Botched install? It was perfomed by a highly respected shop.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:15 PM

if the engine were to stop running while the starter were still engaged then u could damage your flywheel. More than likely when the starter sticks in the teeth on either the starter or the flywheel will be damaged. I's say the teeth on the starter are weaker than the ones on the flywheel. if it keeps it up you may have to replace the solenoid or the starter.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by s2krazy01,Jan 1 2007, 05:24 PM
You are right, that is what's happening, but I think there are consequences. I've been told this can cause premature wear on the flywheel and starter. Not quite sure how the flywheel is damaged but that's what I was told. The problem became more common after I had my new clutch/flywheel installed in September. Not sure if this was a coincidence or if it had something to do with the install. After said install, I also get a noise from the clutch pedal, as if something's not lubricated (although it moves smoothly). Botched install? It was perfomed by a highly respected shop.
whatever it is can more than likely be lubricated. you can remove the clutch slave and the rubber boot on the tranny and lubricate the throwout bearing where the fork is installed onto it. This would be the most common place for the noise. More than likely they lubed it during install but the grease just wasnt good enough to last like what honda uses. I'd say they would lube it for u for free since it wouldnt take long to do it.

Quick Reply: engine start up