S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine stalls

Old 12-29-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalls

Driving into work this morning, no problems along the way. Pretty clean run in.

Swing a quick u turn and go into the parking garage, at the boom gate, the car suddenly struggles to maintain idle, thought nothing of it and drive up 5 floors to my car spot. As I come to a stop to say hello to the parking attendant, I push the clutch in and the engine just dies, yellow CEL light and all the other amber lights go on. At that stage I thought I just stalled the car and thought my mistake. Press the button to restart and the engine struggles to come to life, but once it does it freely revs and I continue to my car spot.

Honestly the car did sound a tiny bit rough as I drove slowly to the car spot, I reverse the car in, and the engine dies again! As I sit here, I cant remember if the CEL came on again or not, again attempt to start the car again it eventually starts up rough idle, give it a few revs, and it settles down.

I've only had the car for a month and I'll be gutted if something is wrong with it.

I had to get to work so I didnt get a chance to check oil etc, what should I look for specifically past oil level, and even if it is low on oil, surely that wouldnt make the engine stop would it?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:59 PM

Let me add also, its a completely stock AP2 (2l)
Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 PM

Received 243 Likes on 182 Posts

If you had legitimate CEL's then there should be stored codes.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt,Dec 29 2009, 02:18 PM
If you had legitimate CEL's then there should be stored codes.
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly does that mean? If they are stored, does that mean a dealer will know what happened?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a european car? you said "gutted" so I know you aren't american. haha. You should at the very least be able to take it to the dealer and say that your check engine light came on and they can diagnose it by checking the CEL code. but I think Euro spec is non OBDII so I don't really know what that difference might cause.

To answer your question, if the oil is a little low, it shouldn't die out like that. If you have had it for a month and driven it hard (1st month is usually like that) and didn't check the oil, then it is definitely low, but unless you car is already past the point of no return with regards to oil starvation, you shouldn't be getting a CEL.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM

As SheDrivesIt said yes. they could tell but only if it was a legitimate CEL (Check engine light)

Check engine lights are coded alarms triggered by the ecu when a fault is detected by a sensor.

A scanner will read out the code and tell you what sensor generated it.
Usually 1 code means 1 malfunction. But sometimes a mechanical fault could trigger a cel making it a NON legitimate cel.

The CEL usually wil stay on on a next engine restart meaning it's been stored in a memory.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:20 PM

It looks like you are in Oz, I don't know about there but here you can go to any parts store and they will pull the check engine code for you. Check the code and see what it is first.

In general, though, lots of things can cause the car to die when clutching-in or in neutral. Most notably poor ignition components (bad plugs, weak spark) and less notably MAP sensor issues. You can also have mechanical issues (bent or burnt valves, bad valve adjustment, low compression) that cause it. The check engine code should give you a good starting point for diagnosis.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, I am in Australia but have spent the last 6 odd years in the UK, so pretty good going by you lot.

I just spoke to the dealer, they won't advise me as to whether or not I should drive the car to them, its about 5 miles from where it is parked. I am going to check the oil level on my lunch break and see if she starts without hesitation, and if so drive her down to the dealer so they can at least tell me what CEL code it threw.

Fingers crossed its just a crap spark plug or lead and nothing more than that.

Just so I know, if it is low on oil, do these engines have any issues with mixed oils? The last service was at honda, so Im guessing they used honda oil or at least honda spec oil, if I just top it up with the same weight, I should be ok?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:51 PM

yeah. it will be fine.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:53 PM

lets us know. what time is it 9:52AM? i'm in the same time zone as you i think. yay for the otherside of the world.

Quick Reply: Engine stalls