S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine stalling on rev down

Old 01-18-2010, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, i'll check the pulley later but i've booked it into a garage for Thursday so hopefully they'll sort it out. Is the clutch servo assisted? It seems more like its an extra load on the engine causing it to die. Also, its fine when the engine is cold, it only plays up when warm. I'll let you know how I get on
Old 01-18-2010, 05:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

mdickens98 Posted: Jan 17 2010, 03:06 PM
As a side note I noticed the clutch seems to be quite rattly now, could this be linked some way? I noticed last week when driving it (before this stalling started) that on a couple of occasions the clutch sort of 'stuck', when I pressed it down it didnt seem to return all the way back although it engaged and worked ok, the next time I pushed the clutch in it returned to normal, could I have a clutch problem and could this be related to the stalling?
Did you notice any mechanical noise during this?
Scraping, dragging?
I guess not because you probably would have mentioned it.

The clutch is just hydraulics, master at the firewall and slave at the trans.

How much force does it take to smother an angine at idle?
I mean, IF the throwout is that bad, its probably not turning at all and would make a fair bit of noise when the clutch fork tries to pull it back.
It does idle at around 800-1000 rpm right?

@ dammintjim: wow!
That is a lot of crank walk!
Do you know what kind of pressure plate this engine was using?
And for how long?
Is this an USDM engine, it needs the clutch in to start?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:37 AM

Ok, so i've just checked my crank pulley and there is no movement in it at all, thankfully. Still none the wiser though. The clutch must put some load on the engine though as while the car was warming up I pushed the clutch in and released a few times and there is a definite change in engine RPM, its only minor and sometimes doesnt even register as one bar on the rev counter but its there. Obviously I dont think this is/should be enough to stall the engine so something else must be wrong (when its warmed up giving it a little gas while operating the clutch removes any issues). Well, roll on friday, i'm currently thinking its gonna be the passageway to the MAP or a duff MAP but could be something else, i'll let you know when I hear from them
Old 01-18-2010, 12:02 PM

There is little load on the engine idling in neutral.
IMO the difference between turning the trans or not is not enough to upset the ECU in a way that it lets the engine stall because the input signals are messed-up.

IF your dealer is not familiar with S2k's and decides to drop the trans it migth be worth it to mention the knock sensor, its in the way of the top starter bolt.
Search for knock sensor and you will find many that have damaged it reaching for the top starter bolt.

But lets hope it is something simple as worn spark plugs.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdickens98,Jan 18 2010, 11:37 AM
i've just checked my crank pulley and there is no movement in it at all,
Glad to hear it.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:34 AM

Well the verdicts in. Mechanic has had a look at it this morning. I knew something sinister must have been going on as each time I drove it the rattling was getting worse and when I took it to the mechanic the vibrations could be felt through the gearstick and clutch. Apparently the bottom end has gone, sounds like it must have been crank walk (not sure why I couldnt see it when I looked). Anyway, he's looked at it and said its too far gone for a rebuild so cars dead Im absolutely gutted, i've only had it a few months and now its dead.
Im in the UK so if anyone wants a silver S2000 with a nackered engine, let me know. Alternatively if anyone has a good, low mileage engine i'd be happy to hear from them!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that mate. Defintitely try and drop in another engine, it shouldn't be too expensive.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the enthusiasm but i've kinda lost heart with it. I've not had it long enough to fall in love and it just makes me really angry now every time I think about it. I cant seem to find another engine for less than £2000 either which makes it a decision I cant really afford. Im GUTTED!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:17 AM

I'm very sorry to hear this.

The service limit on crank walk is 0.40mm.
The crank in the video has way more and its still running!

Good luck.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:57 AM

Hey, thanks. I dont know how much mine it moving, its still running but every time I start the engine its worse. Seems to have gone from the odd stall at lights to completely nackered in about 60 miles. The mechanic has said its about ready to go bang, didnt go over 2500 rpm when bringing it back from the garage and was bricking it all the way.

Quick Reply: Engine stalling on rev down