S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine stalling on rev down

Old 01-16-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalling on rev down

Hi,
I hope someone can help as I am in despair at the moment. I've not had my S2k long and im starting to loose faith in the old girl. Within the last week my car has suddenly developed an awful problem where it will stall when I stop. When I pull up to lights I slow down as normal and when I push the clutch in the engine revs drop and dont stop at idle, instead the engine dies completely and I have to restart it. It started a couple of days ago and it seems to be getting worse, initially it would only die some times and others it would shudder a bit but keep running. Now it will even die if i'm just a bit slow changing gears. If I let the clutch out again while moving it will bump start again or it starts fine using the starter button, plus it will idle fine too. It only does this when its warmed up, its fine when its cold.
So... I came on here and did a bit of a search to see if I could find some help, suggestions seemed to be to whack the MAP sensor and reset the ECU. This morning I went out and checked the connections for the MAP sensor, they looked fine but I disconnected it and cleaned the connections with WD40. I also gave it a few whacks with the end of a screwdriver. I also pulled the 7.5A fuse (labelled Backup) in the car, checked it wasnt blown, left it out for about 10 minutes and replaced it. Started the car up (it started fine) and let it idle for about 15 minutes. Shut it off and left it. I have now just taken it for a drive and its just as bad if not worse than it was before. Its fine when its cold but when its warm it will just die if I dip the clutch. It runs fine when driving, theres no hesitation and its idles fine when you start it but I can even stall it by sitting still in neutral, revving then engine then dipping the clutch, the revs drop but they dont stop and it dies.
Please help, I dont know what to do, the engine warning lights not on and otherwise the car seems fine. Could it be that it just needs to adjust to changing weather or could it be something else? Its been very cold here lately with lots of frost but the car hasnt been driven much. Its just suddenly started to warm up a little and that seems to coincide with the problems getting bad. Since I bought it the car has always shuddered a bit when I stop but its never stalled before.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are off to a good start so far.....But did you add a zip tie around the MAP sensor so ensure a good connection?

Jc
Old 01-16-2010, 10:53 AM

either do the ziptie around your mapsensor...or you can get a new one
Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by xasrielx,Jan 16 2010, 11:53 AM
either do the ziptie around your mapsensor...or you can get a new one
No need to waste money just yet.....Check connections first.

After you zip tie it reset the ecu and let it run for about 5mins at idle. The S has a learning ecu so just let it do it thing.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:11 PM

Ok, so sounds like I need to Zip tie my MAP sensor, i've had a quick look round the forums and it looks like the aim here is to keep the connector tight onto the sensor. I'll give it a go tomorrow but im pretty sure the connection is good already.
Am I going the right way about resetting the ECU or do I need to disconnect the battery.

Also, once i've reset the ecu and let it run idle for 5 mins or so to get going again, can I play with the MAP sensor while its running? I seem to be able to make it stall while stationary so I could test it while stationary, go tap the sensor and try again to see if it helps, or do I need to do this with the engine off??

Also, could it be the fuel im using? As I said i've not had the S long and im not sure what fuel to use. The first few tanks I used were standard supermarket unleaded but recently i've put run a couple of tanks of Shell VPower (higher octane) could this contribute?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:58 PM

Once you zip tie the connection to the plug nice and tight pull either the fuse or the negative side of the battery (if you pull the negative, let it sit with it disconnected for a few mins).

DO NOT UNPLUG IT WHILE RUNNING!!!!

Doubt the fuel is an issue but you SHOULD be using the high octane fuel as the honda recommend you to.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:00 PM

Also try cleaning your IAC

Here is the DIY on this........

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry10624891
Old 01-16-2010, 02:04 PM

what does this mean, is the car not getting the right mixture of air/fuel, either too little fuel or too little air???? could it be a spark issue, would getting new spark plugs help, how about cleaning out the iacv, heard it gets clotted with gunk???

i had a similar problem with my LR disco, but it uses a distributor not ignition coil. I changed spark plugs, fuel filter, but i think the culprit was a loose vacuum hose. Different cars, probably nothing to do one with the other, just throwing it out there.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:29 PM

If coil pack was an issue he would be kicking cel codes. The S has no fuel filter, just a sock around the pump.

Spark plugs could be it, just because your car might have low miles that don't mean you can't have bad plug. But now your talking about mis fire issues.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:56 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have been out and removed the IAC, it didnt look too bad but I gave it a good squirt with carb cleaner and cleaned it out nicely. Refitted it and sprayed the plug with wd40 to ensure a good electrical contact, gave the MAP sensor another tap and reconnected, fitted a zip tie to ensure it was tight too. Removed the air filter and checked it, looks fine too. I had the battery disconnected while doing all this and when I finished I reconnected the battery and started the car. It started fine, idled fine, left it for 5 minutes to warm up, nicely warmed up, jumped in and pushed the clutch in, the revs dropped and it died.
I restarted it and tried again, started fine, pushed the clutch in and this time the revs dropped a bit and the car shuddered but it didnt stall. left for a few seconds tried again, again the revs dropped, it shuddered but didnt stall. Every time I push the clutch in it does the same thing. Got out and tapped the map sensor, got back in again, pushed the clutch in and the engine stalled again. So what gives?? Is my MAP sensor dead or could it be something else? I dont know anything about these cars so im clueless as to what else to check. I also tried revving the engine without touching the clutch, when I let off the revs they drop and go below idle point, the car shudders but it recovers. Hope this might help to diagnose what the problem is, again no warning lights or anything in the car.

I think I might just have to take it to Honda and be prepared for a huge bill, but if any of you can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Or am I just making a big fuss and will the ECU learn to fix this by itself over time?

Quick Reply: Engine stalling on rev down