S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Stalled (for no apparent reason)

Old 06-17-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine Stalled (for no apparent reason)

I just purchased my S2K about a month ago (and LOVE the car), but was wondering if anyone else has had this experience:

I was driving into work this morning, and as I often do, driving in a spirited fashion on a twisty road. Very tight turns (marked for 15 to 25MPH), and I was probably taking them at six tenths. The road ends with a descent to a stop sign at an intersection with a major highway. As I came to a rapid stop at this stop sign, my engine stalled. Then it wouldn't start (turned over, but wouldn't catch). I paused for about 5 seconds, started it up, and drove the rest of the way to work without a hitch.

This has never happened before, and I drive this road often.

It rained on my drive home last night, so there may have been some small amount of water in the engine compartment, but I'm thinking this was a fuel problem.

I have exactly half a tank. Is it conceivable that the fuel sloshing around in the tank caused the fuel pump to take in some air and somehow lose pressure?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2004, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me except I had idling issues along with those symptons.

I removed and cleaned/whacked the MAP sensor and then reset the ECU by pulling the fuse.

My problem went away.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:28 PM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Rain uder the hood is not likely the problem...You may be correct about starving the motor for fuel for a second due to inertia.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:15 PM

More posts please! Ive been having a similar issue, mine never actually stalled... but whenever I drop the clutch pedal to the floor quickly... my car vibrates like its about to turn off due to really low revs... I dont get it!?!?!??!!?! Im going to try the ECU reset, but what else is there!? Should I take it to the half-a$$es at Honda?
Old 06-17-2004, 04:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing that I thought of today was the Rev-limiter, believe it or not.

On page 11-26 of the S2000 Service Manual, it says:

--------------------------------------
Fuel Cut-Off Control
During deceleration with the throttle valve closed, current to the injectors is cut off to improve fuel economy at speeds over 1,050 rpm. Fuel cut-off action also occurs when engine speed exceeds 9,000 rpm, regardless of the position of the throttle valve, to protect the engine from over-revving.
--------------------------------------

So, I guess it would be theoretically possible that the injectors were cut off as the car was decelerating, and this deceleration occured so fast that they did not turn back on in time to prevent a stall. But that would only explain the stall, not the difficulty in starting it back up again, unless somehow the system needed a reset or some time to think about it...

...I don't know, seems like kind of a stretch.

Seems like fuel starvation is the best theory for my symptoms.

Thanks for the posts.

spdlmtna: I don't know your symptoms are related to my episode or not. Either way, the Service Manual lists four Diagnostic Procedures for "Idle speed fluctuates (MIL works OK, no DTCs set)". The are:
1. idle learn procedure
2. check idle speed
3. inspect/adjust throttle cable
4. inspect/test throttle body
Old 06-17-2004, 04:13 PM

yes mine did this also, I spunout, it stalled. started back up in 5-10 seconds later??