S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Siezed? Loud Clunking Sound...

Old 09-14-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmpu671

I found the issue as stated above. It is 2 issues though.
Our posts crossed. I was still writing mine when yours was posted, so didn't see it until after I wrote mine.

As another stated, I would check the crank and cylinder walls. If the cylinders are ok, I would rebuild. Replace crank or just polish it if its salvageable.

Be aware these cars use different possible bearing sizes. You have to mic things up, then order the corrext sizes. This is very unusual, so an engine builder that thinks they got this, may not got this at all. Make sure engine builder is familiar with these engines. Previous Honda experience is not what counts here. Previous S experience is what matters.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
I'm sorry for your loss but,

Oil?
Viscosity?
FI? NA?
DD type of driving?
First owner? Second?
And your age? ...lol sorry.

It should be annotated for the sake of everyone plz, and ty.
Oil: Pennzoil Platinum 10W-40
N/A with exhaust, cat delete, k&n drop in filter.
Was my DD up until a few months ago then became a vehicle I drove maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Normal driving with a bit of spirited driving here and there. Has been to the track twice in the 1.5yrs I have owned it.
Third owner according to carfax. Bought from a dealership.
I am 24....idk what my age has to do with anything...
Old 09-14-2016, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Soviet
Originally Posted by Jmpu671' timestamp='1473812524' post='24061504
My poor F20 did not have the issues i thought i had...

Dropped the oil pan to find cylinder 3 rod bearing completely toasted. Chunks of metal were right under rod 3 and you could wiggle rod 3 with very little effort.

Clutch is almost done with life which would explain the slipping.

What to do next...is this engine even worth a rebuild? I keep researching cost of things but i think the extent of damages may be alot more.

I have a spare motor but even that is currently in pieces but the block is still in one piece. That engine only has 130k on it. The engine in car is 160K.

What do you gents think?
If you have an OEM untouched shortblock I would swap that in. You said the motor is in pieces but the block is still in one piece so I'm a bit confused but as long as the bottom end wasn't touched I would have full confidence in it.

There are other options though...

If you lost a rod bearing you probably damaged the crank and could have scored cylinder walls. I have been told that repaired crankshafts have been poor performers so you should look into a new bottom end or perhaps rebuild with a sleeved block and a stroker kit using a modified K24 crank.

There are also plenty of F20s on Ebay if you want a longblock.
It is an OEM untouched short block. I have the complete engine except the head was removed and all other accessories were removed. Would putting a new timing chain, TCT, and bearings be a bad idea for the untouched block? Since I have the engine out might as well recondition it right? or should i just slap my head on and call it a day?
Old 09-14-2016, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Originally Posted by Jmpu671

I found the issue as stated above. It is 2 issues though.
Our posts crossed. I was still writing mine when yours was posted, so didn't see it until after I wrote mine.

As another stated, I would check the crank and cylinder walls. If the cylinders are ok, I would rebuild. Replace crank or just polish it if its salvageable.

Be aware these cars use different possible bearing sizes. You have to mic things up, then order the corrext sizes. This is very unusual, so an engine builder that thinks they got this, may not got this at all. Make sure engine builder is familiar with these engines. Previous Honda experience is not what counts here. Previous S experience is what matters.
I contacted some local companies and asked if they have any experience with S2K engines so far only 2 have experience and 1 is a shop referred to me by the guys at SpeedFactory. I will be doing more research after work to find out the cost of things. My head in the car now is in great condition as we just did the Retainers and springs 2 months ago... about 4000 miles ago (yes I was driving the car alot as a DD). I have a spare block that I want to recondition before throwing into the car so I want it done correctly. Once the car is back on the road the block that will come out of this car will be built up to support FI.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

If the crankshaft isn't scarred the engine can be saved by simply changing rod bearings, thrust bearing and clutch. It's not impossible to replace the thrust bearing without removing the engine. If you know what you're doing you can remove the lower block girdle with the engine still in the car, which is exactly where the thrust bearing sits. It's much cheaper than buying a new engine that's for sure. Rod knock is fixable on these cars as long as the crank isn't damaged. Even if it is damaged there's still a chance you can polish the crank and just use a thicker OEM bearing. I'm a big believer of bypassing the clutch interlock switch, our pull clutches put too much strain on the crankshaft.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It was more of a joke lol, that's all.
Btw did u have oem oil pan as well?
Old 09-14-2016, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
It was more of a joke lol, that's all.
Btw did u have oem oil pan as well?
Hahaha okay I was like uhhhh what? Lol

It was an OEM pan