S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine shut off, then a no start?

Old 04-05-2005, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shut off, then a no start?

I'm driving into work this morning and I'm stuck in traffic. I'm putting along at 5-10 mph. Stop and go stuff. As traffic begins to move I go to let the clutch out and step on the gas only to see that the engine has shut off. I roll on to the shoulder and try to restart. I have lights, stereo and everything else. I hit the start button and I get nothing. No crank, nothing. I turn the ignition key all the way off, then on again, and now the engine starts. I drive the rest of the way to work (another 15mi) without incodent. I shut the car off at work and then try a restart and again, nothing! Come back 15 min's later and it starts again just fine. Oh, No CEL or anything like that either. The car was in the bodyshop two weeks back and they did have the battery cables disconnected. I checked them and they seem ok. What the hell could cause something like this??? Especially the shut off while running. Any help woudl be appreciated
Old 04-05-2005, 11:56 AM

dude i've had this same problem, but not while im driving though. I would go somewhere and come back to my car and find out that it won't start at all. Then when i step out to call honda and while they put me on hold, i would go back to try again and it starts right up.

happened to me like 3 times, i don't know what is up with it, the last time it happened, i just sat and waited while listening to the radio, and 5 mins later it started right up. weird.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I see you have a supercharger. There's a bit of new wiring connected to the ECU. Check to see if all the connections are solid. Also, do you have an aftermarket alarm system?
Old 04-05-2005, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Apr 5 2005, 03:00 PM
I see you have a supercharger. There's a bit of new wiring connected to the ECU. Check to see if all the connections are solid. Also, do you have an aftermarket alarm system?
No aftermarket alarm, so I'm good there. The S/C has been on for about 8 months without issue (dosent mean there isn't one now) but wouldn't a bad connection there throw a CEL? I haven't checked for codes yet either. I'll be doing that shortly before I leave work.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

starter?

does it click or try to turn over at all? or does the car simply do nothing when you hit the start button.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Apr 5 2005, 03:18 PM
starter?

does it click or try to turn over at all? or does the car simply do nothing when you hit the start button.
Yep, you hit the Start button and you get nothing. That was my first thought, that I may have a starter issue, however that shouldn't cause the car to shut off while running basically at idle. Right?
Old 04-05-2005, 12:43 PM

no it wouldn't make the car shut off. that part someone more knowledgeable than I might have ideas.

does the car just suddenly die? or does the idle slowly drop until the car simplys stalls dead?
Old 04-05-2005, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Apr 5 2005, 03:43 PM
no it wouldn't make the car shut off. that part someone more knowledgeable than I might have ideas.

does the car just suddenly die? or does the idle slowly drop until the car simplys stalls dead?
It just shut off. No shutter, no nothing. It was so smooth I didn't notice it shut off! That never happened again. Now the no start issue has happened a few times, but not the past several starts. They have all been ok. Go figure You can't fix what isn't broken.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:04 PM

I had a CRX that would just drop dead like that. Very rarely, and I was never able to figure out why. Some sort of intermittent electrical fault, I'm sure.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:56 PM

I had this happen to me on my old Mitsu Eclipse. Just driving along and the car would shut off . Then turns right back on. It turned out to be the ECU. The dealer replaced it and it never happened again.

Quick Reply: Engine shut off, then a no start?