S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Removal

Old 07-12-2004, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Removal

Can someone help?

I need to remove the engine from my car due to a cylinder 4 failure at high speed.

So far I've removed the cylinder head and all ancillary equipment. Now I need to take the short block out of the car.

Which is the easiest way to do this?

Where should I disconnect it from the gearbox?

Thanks
Kevin
Old 07-12-2004, 05:32 AM

you won't be able to disconnect the engine from the gear box unless you drop the gear box as well
ie
1. disconnect the drive shaft
2. disconnect the box
3a. remove the engine and tilt the engine and remove the box or
3b. drop the front drive axle (and remove it), then drop the engine and box down and dissamble them

IF you have a hoist then this should not be too difficult.

BTW how are you repairing your short block?
Old 07-12-2004, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the advice!

Not sure how I'm going to repair the block yet.

I've asked some questions on that under another thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218742

Maybe you have some comments?

Kevin
Old 07-12-2004, 06:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You should really have a service manual on hand when doing work this extensive. The block has lifting points where you can attach hooks and chains. It's hard to describe where these are exactly, thus the service manual would be useful for this plus many other things.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:47 AM

boy are we sick of pulling the engine out or what h9krpm !
Old 07-12-2004, 09:11 AM

I have the Honda manual but that does not describe the actual removal of the short block. It tells you where to lift the engine etc. , but does not explain how to disconnect it from the drivetrain and remove it.

Is that explained in the helms manual?

If so could you scan the relevant pages and post them to me?

Thanks
Kevin
Old 07-12-2004, 10:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The Helm manual tells you how to remove the entire engine (not just the short block). You don't usually get to the short block till after the motor is pulled out (although you can).
You have to use a little common sense to see that the manual shows you lifting the engine out without the tranny and exhaust system attached. Therefore, you need to go to the sections that describe those procedures first.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by fireball,Jul 13 2004, 01:17 AM
boy are we sick of pulling the engine out or what h9krpm !
it has been quite a steep learning curve
I recall that about 10 or so months ago I was still so shy of the s2k engine and had to pm xviper so many times for a oil bolt upgrade. Thanks xviper
Now the f20c is a little bit more familiar

it has been an interesting, tiring and expensive
we should be thankful that we had a good mechanic as a friend

kstokell, don't remove the AC pipes, just disconnect hte AC compressor and tie that away from the engine. You won't need to regas it afterward with this technique.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by kstokell,Jul 12 2004, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Not sure how I'm going to repair the block yet.

Maybe you have some comments?

Kevin
for the cost of a new block + 1 piston + a set of piston rings from honda, you are better off with resleeving and use after market pistons plus/minus after market rods
Old 07-12-2004, 11:23 PM

To be honest "xviper" it's only commonsense thats got me this far.

I realise you have to disconnect the gearbox, exhaust etc before you remove the engine, it is just I wanted to know from those who have done this whether there are any tips or tricks in making this task easier.

The only reason I'm down to the short block is I wanted to make sure it was necessary to remove the engine and that it was not a problem with the cylinder head.

My main concern with disconnecting the engine from the gearbox is two bolts which seem impossible to get to without first disconnecting the gearbox from the chassis and shifting the whole assembly forward to allow access.

"honda9krpm" seems to have answered this question for me and it seems I will need to do a bit more work before I can get the engine out.

One of my problems is I'm doing this on axle stands and have no lift so it makes things a little more difficult.

I have not removed the AC pipes but have tied back the compressor as "honda9krpm" suggested.

Iamb not to sure about replacing just the block and one piston, I was thinking it would not cost much more and be more reliable to replace the whole short block assembly, including all conrods, pistons and the crankshaft. This has the added value of allowing me to rebuild the old block at a later date, probably for a high boost application.

If you know of any other tips regarding getting the engine out please let me know as I will probably start this weekend.

"honda9krpm" what do you mean by the "front drive axle", do I also need to remove the interior gear shift etc?

Kevin

Quick Reply: Engine Removal