S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine rebuild

Old 11-16-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Engine rebuild

I have recently resleved my block due to very minor scorch in #4...need help with information on what should be replaced (valves, valve springs, retainers, pistons, etc.)...also if anything needs to be replaced ideas on what would be best parts to use.

Thanks in advance for your imput!!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:01 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen- very minor scoring in cylinder wall #4.

Pistons would be a good idea to go with the new sleeves. CP, Arias, Weisco, etc are all good brands.

Tim
Old 11-17-2005, 05:32 PM

Stronger vavles would be good and retainers.

to OEM valves in this car.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the advice...thinking of either Arias or J's pistons and either Toda or Spoon valves and valve springs...would the '04 and up retainers work with either of those spings and valves?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:30 AM

make sure to change teh valve spring keepers, the stock ones really suck and i have spoke to the guy at the machine shop where i get my heads milled, he does lots of work for the dealerships. THe stock keepers love to fail and drop valves in the motor. I do not like arias they have cost me a motor due to inconsestent expansion rates, this means there alloys are not consistent. I would recomend wiesco as thats what me and all my friends use on our s2ks and civics. I can really speak for the JDM Co. but i would imagine they are high quality peices for the price you pay. i would think about throwing some rods in there as well, a good thing to do to add some more durability,the stock ones will be fine as long as your not going with 600+ hp turbo set up. Some other inexpensive things might be to knife edge teh crank and get it micro polished as well as ading some ARP bolts for the rods and head bolts.

just some thoughts, let us know how it works out!
-Matt
Old 11-20-2005, 04:57 AM

I used the Ferrea stainless valves, double springs, titanium keeper and locks, works great.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:31 PM

UPdate....Just put in my order for ARP connecting rod bolts, toda piston kit, Spoon headgasket, Spoon valves, and Spoon valve spring set...seemed like a pretty good combo to me when I ordered...let you know how it runs when I get it all together!
Old 11-25-2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by LdoubleE,Nov 23 2005, 11:31 PM
UPdate....Just put in my order for ARP connecting rod bolts, toda piston kit, Spoon headgasket, Spoon valves, and Spoon valve spring set...seemed like a pretty good combo to me when I ordered...let you know how it runs when I get it all together!
Sound Real nice.....How much was all that? and also what the labor is going to be? Thanks...

D.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:05 PM

Parts seemed like it cost me an arm an a leg, but I have to thank those at aj-racing and kingmotorsports for the great help...it is going to cost me $100 a sleeve to be redone and $500 or less to get my head ported and polished...and my buddy its going to help me put it together and since my buddy works there they are going to assemble it for free!!...all I will have left is getting it tuned...let you know how much better it runs when I get it all together!!...can't wait rental sucks a** feels like a divorce..lol...I wish it would be done tomorrow...LOVE THE S!!!
Old 11-25-2005, 08:06 PM

sorry, parts cost me $1800...sucks but can't wait to see how it runs...beats the $9000 for parts and labor Honda was wanting to charge me!!!!

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild