S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Rattle & Rear passenger rattle

Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rattle & Rear passenger rattle

Engine rattle:
Something from the engine bay rattles in the low RPM range (1.5-3) revving the engine or accelerating after the engine has warmed up. It also happens when I start up the car again when it has been warmed up already too, probably being that it starts up in that low RPM range. It's been quite frustrating to replicate the noise when I am able to inspect the engine as it disappears.

Rear Passenger rattle:
I just installed some BC N+ the other day and everything has been fine until I went over a large bump in the road, causing a loud clunk to occur in my rear passenger side. The clunking now reoccurs whenever I drive on bumpy roads and pretty much if I go over any bump, except if I drive really slow. I'm about a finger and a half gap around the car, I preloaded the coilovers about an inch stiffer around as well, and didn't find anything loose around the area. It isn't the jack tools in the back or the spare tire because I removed those and still the noise was still there. It sounds as if something is loose in the back, but I checked all the nuts and bolts I dealt with installing the coilovers and all seem to be on pretty tight. I plan on buying some differential spacers soon because of the CV bucket joints vibration problem the S is know to have, but I haven't experienced it yet. My S is MY02 with 76k.

Was wondering if anyone has experienced either problems and could shine some light on the subject.

Edit: Should've posted this in the official rattle thread. Sorry.