S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Rattle at Idle

Old 02-21-2005, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rattle at Idle

I've got this engine rattling noise coming from what sounds like the lower block inside the engine. When I accelerate it disappears. I'm trying to conclude that my valves needs tightening! But it sounds like a wire hitting the fan. Nope that's not it because there's nothing remotely close to the fan to cause that noise. So if anybody had this problem before! It's not a clunking noise just a annoying rattling. Not a rattling noise that sounds like a piston broke loose. And like I said it only happens in idle. Sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not...It's getting real annoying. I am going to get my Valves adjusted this wednesday and the Honda dealership said they will help search to find out what the hell the noise is from.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't imagine you'd need a valve adjustment already.

Where are you sitting when you hear the noise? Are you hearing this while in your car driving? have you gotten out of the car and heard the noise while listening to the engine with the hood open?
Old 02-21-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same noise (i believe). I thought it was attributed to my AEM CAI, but I've played with that thing so much that there is no way it's rattling.

But it does sound like something rattling against the fan. Happens to me when I'm at a stop (and this isn't something that happens all the time, only occasionally), where if I apply just a small amount of throttle (bringing it up to 1,100 to 1,300 rpm) I can hear the rattle... and also a very similar rattle when accelerating around 3,000 rpm.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hmmm broken motor mount maybe?
Old 02-21-2005, 07:30 PM

i have a 1998 honda accord EX 4 door 4 cylinder

its doing the samething

i got a mech to check it out
it was my power steerin pump that was startin to fail on me

i know its different cars but from what i heard...this just might be it

let me know what you guys think
Old 02-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Not gonna be the PS pump on a S. The S2k uses electric power steering, Not hydraulic.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:56 PM

this might be the cam chain, they can rattle when starting up from cold. if its all the time then have it looked at.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:06 AM

How long has it been doing this? Are you sure it isn't a knocking type sound? Knocking in 4 cylinder engines is not unheard of. As matter of fact, quite a few 4 cylinder cars do knock. It is slight, but nevertheless, a knock.

Mine does it slightly.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys are forgeting the most obvious... just a loose heat shield. Just needs a clamp if it is. They can really rattle at times though if loose, and it will be at certain RPM.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:13 AM

Well went to the dealership today to get the car looked at. They were trying to diagnose the problem and all I could ask was, "Can changing my oil from 10w30 to 5w30 become the issue to this problem?" They said, "Shouldn't be the cause." I also asked them if they checked the oil level since my 3K miles were up at this point! They said it was a quart and a half low. I was like well let's change it and see if that was the problem. Well I got my oil changed using 10w30 and so far so good....I told them if the problem came around again. I would definitely bring the car back. It's not a knock! It's nothing that's rattling from outside the motor such as: Heatshield, Fan, CAI, and etc... It was a rattling and it's not the chain. And since our valves are self adjusting they said my car wouldn't need it until about 105K miles. So Till next time...I will keep you updated! But like I stated before...So far no rattling! I am curious to know if my low oil level was the cause? We shall see!

Quick Reply: Engine Rattle at Idle