S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine randomly shuts off during driving

Old 01-15-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine randomly shuts off during driving

My car is a 2000 usdm ap1.

This problem surfaced a few months back. I was tracking/autocrossing the car and it would suddenly not want to rev. Almost like hitting a premature rev limiter around 5000rpm. This was very intermittent. Mods to the car were:

3.5" cold air intake
PLM header
Invidia test pipe
Megan cat back
Omni Power 70mm throttle body
Blox TPS

Fast forward a month or two. I swapped out fuel pumps for an Aeromotive unit and took the car for another track day. While driving the car on track it would just shut off. Dash lights, radio, everything else worked just the motor shut off. I tried restarting A few times but it would just crank and not fire over. After sitting for a few minutes and not trying to start it, it wouldn't fire over and I was able to drive the car again. I wound putting the stock fuel pump back in the car and going back on track. Same thing happened again. I have driven the car on and off a few times over the last two weeks and the problem is exponentially worse. Tonight I didn't even get a half a mile from my house before the car shut down.

I have since gone back to the Asromotive pump as that seems not to be the problem.

New mods to the car:
AEM EMS v1 1052
Jenvey ITBs

Problem still persists. I have replaced the cam position sensor and crank position sensor along with the ignition switch and still no dice. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Did you try pulling codes when it was happening with the OEM ecu?
Old 01-15-2016, 10:05 PM
Site Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

Hm the only thing that stands out to me on that list as odd is the blox tps. Can't say I have seen people run that and blox isn't exactly a high quality company. People have had problems with aftermarket sensorsin the past as well. Maybe try using the oem sensor?
Old 01-16-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It never threw any codes. The Blox tps has since been removed and replaced with a Jenvey supplied unit that came with the itb kit.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:58 AM

Received 1,231 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Still sounds like a fuel cut off. If it ain't the pump it's the wiring or ECU logic. Hard to diagnose at this distance since the car is so non-standard.

-- Chuck
Old 01-16-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I remember not to long ago someone had the same problem . Took his wife on a normal drive and car just shut off. Took it to his mechanic and it fired right up. Everyone told him not to drive it because it was something serious. Forgot exactly. Billman recommended him to another s2k mechanic and the guy ended up needing the motor rebuilt. Thread is on here somewhere.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedk20
I remember not to long ago someone had the same problem . Took his wife on a normal drive and car just shut off. Took it to his mechanic and it fired right up. Everyone told him not to drive it because it was something serious. Forgot exactly. Billman recommended him to another s2k mechanic and the guy ended up needing the motor rebuilt. Thread is on here somewhere.
This thread needs follow-up. Very interesting.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:17 PM

I'm gona see if I can find the thread
Old 01-16-2016, 07:26 PM

Found it. Ended up being bad thrust washer. New motor replaced
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/113...#entry23697577
Old 01-16-2016, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an Accord EX V6 that started doing this at about 55k miles. Took it to the dealer and they said it was a bad alternator. They "replaced" it and I didn't have any problems until about 70k miles when it started shutting off while driving. Everything else would work, but the car wouldn't start. After waiting a couple of minutes, it would fire right back up. I took it to a different dealer and they found that it was a $17 ignition relay.

I explained that I had the alternator replaced at another dealer and they said that would fix the problem. The new dealer checked out the alternator and said it had never been replaced, but that indeed the relay switch was causing it to go bad. Since they could see I had the work done at the other dealer and there was clear fraud, they fixed everything for free and said they would notify Honda and have the other dealer pay for everything. I sold the car @ 170k miles and never had the problem again.

That was service...even our Acura dealer isn't that quick or good.

That being said...we're talking about two different cars. Don't take a chance and don't drive the car till you know what's wrong!

Quick Reply: Engine randomly shuts off during driving