S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Problems, if you know engines.. read

Old 03-20-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just found out injectors are covered under the bumper/bumper... ugh this car is killing me
Old 03-20-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its all covered who cares?
Old 03-20-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might be able to whip up some lemon law action on them if worst comes to worst...
Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man i'm sorry for you...you need to goto a better dealer or someone who knows how to diagnose car's...you need to check everything..make damn well sure that every spark plug is getting spark...
Old 03-20-2007, 12:06 PM

injectors arent covered and plusg arent either... also i doubt coil packs are.

so im changing plugs tonight, and then if CEL still shows misfires cleaning injectors.. and then only thing left would be the coilpacks...
Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

rijowysock

There is a thread, that Rick posted a few year back. He had the same type of issue, only it was intermittent. The dealer replaced all of that stuff and the problem was still there. HTG took the car and it turned out to be the ECU.

So remember that Spark is generated by the ECU.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:54 PM

well today they adjusted the valves.. and afterwords it was pinging really loud.. like made me want to cry, they wanted to do plugs for 120, but needed to order them. i stopped and got some NGK laser platinums and swapped em out, reset the CEL @ autozone and no more CEL coming on.. (YET)... afterwords i was so happy i put some meisters on the bitch.

hopefully CEL doesnt come back on, the engine is still doing the "grumble" noise... after this the only options are injectors and the coil packs... and then i guess honda can fina another reason to deny this or that.

i figure this latest quick fix will give me just enough time to find a G35 coupe... i went today actually 10am to buy this blue one i found but they sold it before i got there.... im still on the prowl..

04 navi/brembo/manual /black interior.. any color within 100 miles of tampa fl.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:35 PM

Yes the valves must be adjusted on a cold engine or the clearances will be off from the warmer expanded metal. I've never heard of a tight valve before unless somehow a valve became misshapen or bent. Typically if a Honda's valves have gone out of adjustment on their own it's not by a terrible much and the worst scenario is noisy valves. If there is MORE noise now they did the adjustment incorrectly. Valve adjusting is fairly easy, but if you don't take your time it will never be quite right. Valves go out of adjustment over time so yours probably were out, but I don't think valves being slightly out of adjustment set off CEL on any Honda.

The CEL reads misfire, but does the car sound like it's misfiring at idle, or has anyone checked the timing of the vehicle? Bad misfiring can be audibly noticeable, but not always. I recommend asking them to use a timing light to check the engine timing. I would also physically look at the spark plugs and look for any hot leaned out cylinders or fuel soaked rich ones. If this problem seems fixed with the new plugs the old plugs were probably fouled, or, also very very likely, the plug gap was off. Both can create problems with proper ignition causing a misfire situation.

Can you explain the "grumble" noise more? I might be able to help more. Also if you can tell precisely where it's coming from that would be immensely informative. An old trick is to use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope. Place the metal tip end on several areas around the engine and your ear right on the handle. You can easily pinpoint where sounds are coming from!
Old 03-20-2007, 04:41 PM

the grumble is ONLY when cruising... not at idle.. not under accel.

i let off the accel to cruise at a set speed and the engine makes a chatter like a noisy diff.. from the engine tho 110%. i still have no idea what it is, my friend said he got the noise when his injectors were dirty, so im guessing if the injectors are gunked up.. it will set another CEL.. in that case ill clean the injectors manually and then see whats what.. after that im guessing coil pack.. but i will sell the car before i lay down 91$ each on coil packs.

riley

timing- i saw them use a timing gun on it yesterday @ honda.

one of the techs said to me it failed compression test or something. idk... and that they were unsure what was going on..

like i said im not good w/ accepting problems not covered under my i pay out the ass for extended warranty so worst case ill sell before dedicatng more time towards it after the injectors.. ill just make sure to stop by the autozone and reset the cel light before trading in
Old 03-20-2007, 11:43 PM

Failed compression test? Did they give you the results of each cylinder?

Assuming there's some competency at this Honda dealership to do basic troubleshooting and mechanical work I would say they are trying to dick around with you because of your first encounter with them. There should not be this much runaround trying to diagnose any problem(s) on what I'm assuming is a fairly stock car.

I'm still not sure about this grumble noise yet, or how dirty injectors could contribute to it. Sorry I can't be of any more help there seems to be too much going on at once with the obscure information the dealer is giving you. I'd recommend finding a different Honda dealer or mechanic in general. Post any more info you get and maybe it will clear things up.

Quick Reply: Engine Problems, if you know engines.. read