S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Problems, if you know engines.. read

Old 03-19-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Engine Problems, if you know engines.. read

alright, well starting in january ive been getting CEL's and i go into honda and they say "misfiring" and then they say "we'll just reset it, maybe its bad gas... lemme know if it comes back on"

i go back 6 more times, same thing.

finally im pissed i go in today and they say "misfiring on all cylinders" then they say thats going tobe 60$ since we checked the OBD2, i tell them no thanx on the 60$ if ida known that ida just told you what it was.

so then they say "it seems like your valves might be too tight and causing he misfires", thats going to be a couple hours at least of work.

i then go off on them about how the ONE thing warranty doesnt cover is obv the problem and they agree to comp the valve adjustment.

the car is waiting there overnight now because valve adjust has to be done when engine is cold..

i know they are going to throw more BS at me so im wondering what do you guys think it is so i can go in and have some ideas of my own when they try and lie to me and tell me its not covered.

riley
Old 03-19-2007, 02:18 PM

my close friend is now telling me that when i thought it was clicking, was valve adjustment needed, i didnt get so then after a while it started to create a misfire which could very well be the problem and hopefully they solve. but other than valve adjustment what could cure a misfire. or whats causing it

one friend says bad coil packs,
another says bad plugs.

whats your take on the situation because i surely cant leave it up to honda guys to tell me the truth

i figure worst case tomorrow when they try and deny this/that under warranty ill just call the newspaper and have a great article about how warranty's mean nothing anymore (brand new dealer, hasnt even had grand opening yet, they might stop bullshtting me then)
Old 03-19-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has the car ever had a valve adjustment?
...and they make you wait overnight for the adjustment?! ...that's odd.
How many miles on the car? You may need new plugs.

see what happens after the adjustment
Old 03-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Out of approximately 350 S2000s, I have NEVER found a single tight valve.

Unless the valves were tampered with before and done improperly, that is not the problem.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:46 PM

44k miles,

they said valve adjust has to be done cold because heated up they expand or something.

never changed plugsm bought certified preowned at 30k a year ago.

im under honda warranty so if i get any more hassles im just going to call honda.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250' date='Mar 19 2007, 05:43 PM
Out of approximately 350 S2000s, I have NEVER found a single tight valve.

Unless the valves were tampered with before and done improperly, that is not the problem.
what would you think the problem would be if after they adjust the valves everything is the same?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:07 PM

I think you'll get your answer tomorrow, if the car is till throwing the code after they "fix" what they think is a valve problem, they'll figure it out.

every mechanic has their own little "lingo" it's possible the guy said your valves are "tight" and meant they need to be adjusted... and your problem may very well be fixed.

I'm curious, definately give an update tomorrow.

I know "E-Brake" had a problem with aftermarket plugs that caused misfire and later ended up blowing his motor. He ended up having it replaced by Honda ...it could be a plug problem

I'm betting it's the valve adjustment.
If not, clean your injectors and replace your plugs.
From there, probably coil packs (but I doubt it will get that far)
Old 03-19-2007, 04:16 PM

i decided about 5 mins ago.regardless of what the guys say im trading in for G35coupe tomorrow... as long as they still have it by thursday when i have time to gut the s2k and bring it by to trade in.

found a blue/black int. 04 manual/navi/brembo coupe. 24k

i figure theyll owball me on the s2k and ill lowball them on the G35 so the difference regardless will stay at around 6k.

we'll see..
Old 03-20-2007, 09:20 AM

valve adjustment done, didnt fix anything...... now they wanna change the spark plugs out (obviously not covered under warranty)

so im thinking....... if the motor blows.. thats covered under warranty... but the plugs arent so i might as well let it blow.

i was going to trade it in for a G35 today but they sold the one i wanted... just not my week
Old 03-20-2007, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by rijowysock' date='Mar 20 2007, 09:20 AM
valve adjustment done, didnt fix anything...... now they wanna change the spark plugs out (obviously not covered under warranty)

so im thinking....... if the motor blows.. thats covered under warranty... but the plugs arent so i might as well let it blow.
Well if you don't properly maintain your car they CAN void your warranty.

So if your engine blows and the new spark plugs would have prevented that (as unlikely or likely as that may be), they will not do any warranty work on your car because it did not have proper maintenance done.

Quick Reply: Engine Problems, if you know engines.. read