S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

engine problems

Old 06-16-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine problems

I have a 2002 engine in my 2000 s2000 that I just swapped in... when I initially started it it sounded great... then big clouds of white smoke poured out and then some light knocking on the bottom end would happen every time the engine cranked over. Im thinking the knocking in a spun bearing.. I opened the bottom end up and saw that the sleeves were smooth and everything looked fine. I am going to replace all the bearings myself and hopefully it fixes the problem... I have 1/5 of the standard oil pressure...

any suggestions please!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a spun bearing.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:30 PM

I have a dilemma that I need some help with.

I have a brand new ported and polished "everything aftermarket" retainers springs the whole 9 yards f20c head.

Now I also have a 2.0L block with a spun rod (i think, small shavings in the oil pan and a knock that gets louder with the rpm's increasing) I took the oil pan off and checked to see if the cylinder walls were ok and everything seemed smooth and tight.

I already have a 2.2L crankshaft and crower rods for the 2.2. What would be the best way of going about in having my engine run properly again for the minimal amount of money?

If I buy CP pistons with the rings and bearings will they slap right in without having any work from a machine shop and making displacement increase? Or would it be better to just buy the bearings and replace them all myself and keeping it at 2.0L?

My block is in perfect condition! WHAT DO I DO!!!!!!!!!! Those of you that are s2000 gurus could you please give me your .02 cents.

Thank you!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:32 PM

whats the best way of going about in fixing this problem

can I just buy new bearings and replace them myself within the engine bay or taking the engine out?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:35 PM

For your rings to seat properly you're going to need a hone. The right thing to do would be pull the motor and take it to a machine shop to have the hone done. If you're not comfortable, and don't own a very good torque wrench, then I'd also pay to have someone assemble the block.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:44 PM

I have someone that can adjust and torque everything to the propert measurement in the block. I was just trying to avoid needing my engine honed ... how much does that run for average? should I just go with the aftermarket pistons as well and just make it a 2.2L or would that cause more trouble than its worth. remmember I already have crower rods and a 2.2L crank
Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 PM

I would say around $100.00.

To me it would depend on the future of your build honestly... If you wanted N/A id go for it and do around 12.0:1 compression ratio (if you have a stand alone).

If the crank has any scarring i would get that polished at the same time as the hone, it's worth it in the long run to do everything righ the first time, trust me.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 PM

eventually I want to slap on a turbo and hit the 350 mark maybe in 6 months but I would really rather get everything out of the way right now since the engine will be out and ready to get some work done.

So if I buy say some CP pistons and slap on the crower rods and 2.2L new crank with stock bearings and hone the engine to the pistons requirements and slap on the built head I will have a solid base for an engine to run for years?

I need an honest suggestion, trying to spend less than $800 total.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 PM

I have a 2.2L Crank, Crower Connecting Rods, and will be purchasing some JE or CP pistons.... what else is required to make my f20c shortblock into a 2.2L monster. What bearings and what size pistons do I NEED!!!!!!!! someone help me I have 1 month to get my car up and running
Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 PM

bump! someone help me!

Quick Reply: engine problems