S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Oil Question

Old 01-11-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Question

Hey guys. It's time for me to change my engine oil and I have a question. I have read through the Oil Journals and read (about 4 times) the engine oil 10w30 comparison. I tried Redline 10w30 and my oil consumption was a headache. The next time I was at the dealership, I asked them to change it to mineral oil (Castrol GTX I believe) and my oil consumption was way less than when the Redline was in there. Well now it's time for another oil change and I was looking at either Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1. I have 22k on the odometer with no mods and I do not drive my car very hard. I am just wondering if I should stick to Castrol GTX 10w30 or if you guys recommend me to switch to Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1 or some other easily attainable engine oil that would perform well. Thanks a lot guys!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everyone's different, most people use the mobil 1. as for me i use royal purple just because i get them $3.00 a quartz. theres a lot of people here doesnt like it but for me it seem to be better than mobil 1 thats just me, i have tried mobil 1 its a very good product but i just prefer the royal purple, its smoother. just go with your guts see or try different oil see what you like. i have tried pretty much every synthetic oil out there.

oh sorry x viper i was in a hurry to write the long as* sentence anyways what oil do you use
Old 01-11-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmgpw04,Jan 11 2006, 07:07 PM
every single one is deff. but alot of people uses the mobil 1 i use royal purple i know i know there a lot of people here doesnt like it but for me it seem to be better than mobil 1 thats just me i have tried mobil 1 and royal purple is smoother like i said thats just me i dont know why they dont like it cause its expensive hey maybe for you guys but for me its only 3 bucks a qrtz so i think go with your guts see or try diff. oil see what you like i have tried pretty much every synthetic oil out there i just dont use castrol dont know why i just dont like it
I just got one helluva headache reading this post. Do you think you could possibly use some punctuation and sentence structure?
Old 01-11-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grammer and punctuation like that is totally unacceptable. We aren't in 2nd grade anymore.

To answer the original question though, I do not see synthetic oil being worth it considering its 4x (or more) the price of conventional. I use Chevron 10W-30 which generally costs me $.49-59/qt. Chevron makes a very quality product and its been working perfectly for me (I generally change it by 3500 miles). The only reason I would consider using synthetic oil is if I wanted to go with extended drain intervals between oil changes. Oh, and I always use the Honda PCX filters.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I read somewhere on this board that Havoline Oil is made by Chevron. Any testimonies concerning this brand? Also, any comments on Castrol GTX? I used this all the time in my '95 Civic EX and was wondering if there are any reported "issues" with using this oil in the S2000. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:27 PM

I have never heard of Havoline being made by Chevron, but I do know both are very good conventional oils. I personally believe it is best to pick one type of oil and stick with it.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Havoline is a Texaco brand.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kracka,Jan 11 2006, 05:34 PM
I do not see synthetic oil being worth it considering its 4x (or more) the price of conventional.
That all depends. I spend only a tiny fraction of my car maintenance expenses on oil. Given that, and the use I put the car to, I use Castrol Syntec. If I didn't put the car through almost 3000 miles on the track in a year, I would probably be less inclined to get the small increase in safety margin.

You have to evaluate your own needs.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by BlackJoker,Jan 11 2006, 08:20 PM
Also, any comments on Castrol GTX? I used this all the time in my '95 Civic EX and was wondering if there are any reported "issues" with using this oil in the S2000. Thanks a lot.
There are no "issues" of any kind with any of the oils you mention, they are all excellent.
The only "issues" you can find with any regularity on this board regarding oil, are related to people running OUT of oil.
My point is: Given the type of driving you do, You should be fine, use any of them, but check the oil level often and change oil regularly. I think ready availability is a strong point for Mobil 1 (if you want synthethic) or Castrol GTX (for mineral).

Old 01-11-2006, 05:54 PM

Thanks a lot guys

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Question