S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Oil Light on at Idle....

Old 04-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Maybe grab a few pics and hopefully someone with experience can chime in
Old 04-29-2012, 06:38 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
Maybe grab a few pics and hopefully someone with experience can chime in
Thanks man, I'll see if Billman250 can recommend my next step, it would be between running the engine and check oil pressure (with new oil and filter), or take off the oil pan and check rod bearings and bottom end. Right now I'm hesitant to start up the engine if is unsafe to run at idle with low oil pressure.

I had the wifey operate the clutch a dozen times or so while I was looking at the crank pulley and I couldn't detect any movement of the crank by sight or feel. If that means anything ?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by starchland' timestamp='1335702861' post='21652847
Search the site, something about crank walk,and clutch related...if it has some play in it vertically...I think Billman has some posts on that. Im not sure if you would see 33 ppm in the filter?

Hopefully its something simple, like a blocked sump or something.
I dumped the oil a few mins ago into a clear container, not too much out of the ordinary, I did see one flat piece of metal - very thin and sheet-like, maybe two milimetres by 2 milimetres, and a small number of metal specks but not many, maybe 3-4 and very small round shaped specks. Not much glitter in the oil. I did capture a sample to send off and have it analyzed.

I could only get one hand on the crank pulley due to tight access right now, and I couldn't budge it, perhaps it takes two hands to test it properly. I'd rather have bad rod bearings than crank main bearings, couldn't bad rod bearings induce some roughness in the powertrain ?.

The only other thing I can think of is a clogged oil filter, but it is a pretty much new Honda S2000 specific filter. I'd like to see the pick-up sceen on oil pump. I'd swap out the oil and filter and do an oil pressure check if it is safe to run the engine with the oil light on, but everything I've seen said not to run the engine if the oil pressure light is on ?
You've already diagnosed the problem...there should never, ever be any visible metallic parts in your oil. Don't run the engine again. Bring it in to your mechanic.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

How many km since your oil pan install? Oil jets? Anything else recently done to the car? How fast were you going on the track? I honestly can't see that being the reason for starvation assuming oil level H
Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 AM

Search the site, something about crank walk,and clutch related...if it has some play in it vertically...I think Billman has some posts on that. Im not sure if you would see 33 ppm in the filter?

Yeah, that was in my thread. I had at least one spun rod bearing and the vibration, exactly as the OP described, was my crank bearing. $6000 later I have a new engine. Yeh.

I already mentioned to the OP there should never, ever be metal in your oil. And, that's what we found in my pan when we pulled it.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 AM

How many km since your oil pan install? Oil jets? Anything else recently done to the car? How fast were you going on the track? I honestly can't see that being the reason for starvation assuming oil level H
Oil pan install was only about 500 miles since I did it - over winter months - Mugen oil pan which is a fairly simple design, not much should have gone wrong from that part install. The 4 hole oil-jet bolts were from the factory, I was lucky to have an engine in 2002 that received the upgraded bolts from the factory. I was running pretty hard at the track as I had a fair bit of open road, it was Mosport which has some high-g sweepers and uphill runs. Something must have happened that day at the track as it was just after that when my oil analysis came back bad and there was some glitter in the oil. Up to that point my oil analysis reports were pretty solid. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1335706324' post='21652906
[quote name='starchland' timestamp='1335702861' post='21652847']

I dumped the oil a few mins ago into a clear container, not too much out of the ordinary, I did see one flat piece of metal - very thin and sheet-like, maybe two milimetres by 2 milimetres, and a small number of metal specks but not many, maybe 3-4 and very small round shaped specks. Not much glitter in the oil. I did capture a sample to send off and have it analyzed.

I could only get one hand on the crank pulley due to tight access right now, and I couldn't budge it, perhaps it takes two hands to test it properly. I'd rather have bad rod bearings than crank main bearings, couldn't bad rod bearings induce some roughness in the powertrain ?.

The only other thing I can think of is a clogged oil filter, but it is a pretty much new Honda S2000 specific filter. I'd like to see the pick-up sceen on oil pump. I'd swap out the oil and filter and do an oil pressure check if it is safe to run the engine with the oil light on, but everything I've seen said not to run the engine if the oil pressure light is on ?
You've already diagnosed the problem...there should never, ever be any visible metallic parts in your oil. Don't run the engine again. Bring it in to your mechanic.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply David. I will avoid starting it up again and pass on the oil pressure test then. Please excuse me, I'm a bit slow and OCD all rolled up into one.

Where you said I've diagnosed the problem do you mean my reference to the rod bearings ?, If it is rod bearings I could possibly tackle it myself, but did you loose some main or thrust bearings too ?, if it got that bad on mine I wouldn't likely tackle it myself. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1335713137' post='21653058
[quote name='JFUSION' timestamp='1335706324' post='21652906']

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply David. I will avoid starting it up again and pass on the oil pressure test then. Please excuse me, I'm a bit slow and OCD all rolled up into one.

Where you said I've diagnosed the problem do you mean my reference to the rod bearings ?, If it is rod bearings I could possibly tackle it myself, but did you loose some main or thrust bearings too ?, if it got that bad on mine I wouldn't likely tackle it myself. Thanks for the reply.
[/quote]

No problem. When I said you Dx the problem, I was not being specific as too exactly what the metal came from. Just that it should never be there.

I lost a rod bearing and part of the crank bearings as well, but don't know anything more specific than that. I'm sure my problem was exacerbated by previous running with oil a quart low on many occasions. That was a frickin' expensive lesson.

My guess you'll find more metal in the pan when you remove it. I believe you can sort of Dx if it's from the rods or crank based on the type of metal, but I don't know the specifics. But, that's academic at this point.

Sorry about your loss.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM

I posted up about my increased wear and a few replies said it was just increased wear and not to worry about it.
Based on what you told us then... yes it was me (among others) that said not to worrie.
But you never mentioned this:
That track had some long high g sweeping curves which have been known to cause some oil starvation issues on some cars, and it has a very steep uphill section of the track accelerating hard and oil sloshing to the back of the pan I think.
Having oil starvation between 6 and 9, under load is... bad... mkay!

This is why my MY'00 AP1 chassis has a MY'04 F20C2 in it right now.
I never investigated what bearings had damage, the bottom end is still in a garagebox.
In a way you have some bragging rights now: even on street tires you managed to produce oil starvation
It took me R-comps to do this.
But, I also had all the missfire CEL's at idle.
Who wins?

In time you'll be able to laugh about it, but trust me, I know how you feel when you saw that oil waring light come on.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1335714348' post='21653096
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1335713137' post='21653058']
[quote name='JFUSION' timestamp='1335706324' post='21652906']

[/quote]

[/quote]

No problem. When I said you Dx the problem, I was not being specific as too exactly what the metal came from. Just that it should never be there.

I lost a rod bearing and part of the crank bearings as well, but don't know anything more specific than that. I'm sure my problem was exacerbated by previous running with oil a quart low on many occasions. That was a frickin' expensive lesson.

My guess you'll find more metal in the pan when you remove it. I believe you can sort of Dx if it's from the rods or crank based on the type of metal, but I don't know the specifics. But, that's academic at this point.

Sorry about your loss.
[/quote]

ah okay I think I'll proceed to remove the pan and take it from there. I might pull my plugs today as well and see if they reveal anything with the cylinders. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Light on at Idle....