S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Oil life

Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gCHOW,Sep 8 2010, 09:46 AM
if you want a REAL answer to how your oil is holding up and how long you can stretch oil changes, i suggest you send your used oil in for a used oil analysis (UOA) to one of the labs like Blackstone. IIRC, i believe they send you the kit and the analysis is like $20.

i've been on BobIsTheOilGuy.com oil forums for my Audi and those guys take lube seriously.
I hope you don't mind asking you, and I don't mean to ask such question to criticize you in any way.

But I change the oil myself for $15 (including oil filter).

Question: WHY SHOULD I SPEND $20 TO GET OLD OIL ANALYZED? Would it make more sense to spend $5 less and change the oil? I'd have brand new oil and saved $5......

I'd like to know what’s the purpose to get the oil change analyzed and spend $20 for that.

I'm not criticizing you, just trying to make sense of this
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what chow was suggesting was you can take a sample without dropping the oil, and if they recommend you can run it longer than you change it then you could save some $ with less changes.

But like you said if you can change it for less than half of what a tank of gas cost then there you go.

FYI I run synthetic 1000 miles over the life meter but then again I do around 40K a year. Drain plug magnetic still clean with 140K on the motor.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

An oil analysis tells you what condition your used oil is in - what chemicals, elements, acids, lubricants, etc are in it. Its typically used for people looking to extend or accurately change their oil when it is near end of life vs when it is still good and by people that want to ensure they don't have contaminants. You wouldn't do a UOA every oil change, but every few years as your car ages and your driving styles change.

IMO, with 5k annual mileage, a once-a-year oil change with dino oil will be fine for your car and your casual driving style. Anything you do above that is up to you, like synth oil, more frequent changes, but it won't hurt anything on the car, just cost you time an money - maybe worth the trade off for you.

As an aside, considering the Honda oil filter costs around $9, how are you changing your oil for $15 total?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 8 2010, 07:13 AM
If you are south of Canada, Honda states 7,500 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. So... change the oil every 7,500 mi or 12 months. Changing it more frequently will only hurt your bank account.
Most sensible answer.

FWIW in the remaining part of the civilized world the recommended mileage can exceed the magic 10,000 miles number easily, but having lived in the US, I understand the deep rooted big-oil 3000 miles pitch (i.e. myth)...
Old 09-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 7 2010, 09:13 PM
If you are south of Canada, Honda states 7,500 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. So... change the oil every 7,500 mi or 12 months. Changing it more frequently will only hurt your bank account.
Is that using syn oil or regular ?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 AM

The standards are for dino oil from Honda. No automaker that I know of posts synth intervals along with dino, although UOAs show synth lasts much longer than dino oil. Automakers post one set of guidelines and will either state use conventional or synth oil, but that's as specific as they get.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 8 2010, 10:48 AM
As an aside, considering the Honda oil filter costs around $9, how are you changing your oil for $15 total?
I don't buy the filter at a Honda dealer..... they rip you off

I know some of you will think I'm crazy but I tell you a story.
I used to own a 1992 Accord DX. That's the base model. There was no power windows/locks. A typical point A - Point B kind of car. And it did a great job doing that.

I always changed the oil myself, and because I used to do 45k miles per year I used to change the oil every weekend. YEs, you read that correctly, every weekend. It used to take me 10 minutes to do it, and it used to cost me $5 for 4 qts of regular 5W/30. So I used to change the oil ever 500 miles or so. Now to save some $$$ I used to replace the oil filter every 5k miles, and just change the oil ever weekend

To make the story short, that engine lasts 318,000 miles in just 12 years. I used to replace the brakes ever 40k miles. I replaced the radiator ONCE at 250,000 miles; I replaced the clutch (manual transmission) ONCE at 285,000 miles

And that's all I did on that car for repairs..... it was a bullet proof reliable car, it gave you everything you needed. Great front/back visibility, plenty of room for 5 adults if need be, plenty of trunk room. And it had decent power for a basic economy car.

I loved that car. Unfortunately its life ended when some drunk idiot rear ended it so badly it was not worth it to repair. The driver that hit me got arrested, and his insurance gave me $1,400 cash for my car. Not bad for a 318,000 miles in just 12 years

that's what Honda used to be. GREAT ECONOMY CARS. Fantastic reliable. That Accord NEVER LET ME DOWN ONCE ON THE ROAD. NEVER!!!!! I can attest to that.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by ginaprincess,Sep 8 2010, 10:26 AM
I hope you don't mind asking you, and I don't mean to ask such question to criticize you in any way.

But I change the oil myself for $15 (including oil filter).

Question: WHY SHOULD I SPEND $20 TO GET OLD OIL ANALYZED? Would it make more sense to spend $5 less and change the oil? I'd have brand new oil and saved $5......

I'd like to know what’s the purpose to get the oil change analyzed and spend $20 for that.

I'm not criticizing you, just trying to make sense of this
LOL.

no, i totally understand what you mean - which is the exact reason why i myself dont send in my oil to do used oil analysis and stuff. but i'm just saying, if you REALLY want to know what condition your oil is like... thats how you find out.

does it make economic sense since your current oil changes are already so cheap? not really...
Old 09-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Haha wow. I knew a guy that washed his car twice a week once. It didn't make the car cleaner, just used more water.

You are imo changing your oil way too often, but that's your prerogative. Its a false relationship you paint though that overly-frequent oil changes equate to longer engine life; plenty of people adhere to more reasonable oil change intervals and get hundreds of thousands of miles from their engines.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 8 2010, 11:50 AM
Haha wow. I knew a guy that washed his car twice a week once. It didn't make the car cleaner, just used more water.

You are imo changing your oil way too often, but that's your prerogative. Its a false relationship you paint though that overly-frequent oil changes equate to longer engine life; plenty of people adhere to more reasonable oil change intervals and get hundreds of thousands of miles from their engines.
I don't disagree with you on the oil change.

But I tell you this, and this is strictly my personal opinion and nothing else

- NO MATTER WHAT OIL CHANGE YOU USE (Synthetic or regular) THE FIRST 500 MILES AFTER YOU CHANGED THE OIL THE ENGINE FEELS LIKE IT PERFORMS BETTER.

Believe me, I know so....... I felt it in every Honda I drove. From the 1992 Accord, to the 1994 Accord to the current S2k and SI

No matter what car I drove, every time I change oil, the engine feels like it's running much better the first 500 miles. After that it just does not feel as smooth.

You might not agree, but that is what I sense when I drive. It's like the engine is a fraction more responsive the first 500 miles of an oil change than after that.

Just my opinion based on my experience. Anyone can agree or disagree

Quick Reply: Engine Oil life