S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine noise/rear clunking

Old 01-25-2015, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise/rear clunking

What's up s2ki

New member here this is my first post.

I recently bought an '03 S2K with 111k miles on the clock and while I love it there are some things I noticed are not quite right.

1. Engine noise
- when I accelerate there's a noise that comes from the engine that sort of sounds like metal scraping against concrete. It's loudest at 4k rpm and up. It does this in all 6 gears. Anybody know what it might be?

2. Clunking/clicking noise from the rear
- I noticed that there is a frequent clicking noise from the back of the car when driving. If anybody has any information, please help me out.

I'm excited to be a part of the S2K community.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some vids would be very helpful. But as a guess:

1 - Do you have anything loose in the engine bay or underneath? Perhaps a heat shield is hitting on something during acceleration? Not sure about a metal scraping on concrete noise without seeing/hearing it.

2 - Could be that the CV joints/axle buckets are pitted. Check out these sections and see if you have the same symptoms:

Noise thread - https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/392...clicking-rear/

DIY - https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/241...diy-with-pics/
Old 01-26-2015, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Okay so I tried getting a video of the sound but the audio quality isn't that great. It's not the initial rattling you hear, that's a loose part in my interior. You can sort of hear it best towards the end of the video when I'm at like 5k rpm. It's pretty faint but it's audible. It might sound like wind noise at first but you gotta listen closely.

http://youtu.be/8SaTf8npwXU
Old 01-26-2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by S2KPaul
What's up s2ki

New member here this is my first post.

I recently bought an '03 S2K with 111k miles on the clock and while I love it there are some things I noticed are not quite right.

1. Engine noise
- when I accelerate there's a noise that comes from the engine that sort of sounds like metal scraping against concrete. It's loudest at 4k rpm and up. It does this in all 6 gears. Anybody know what it might be?

2. Clunking/clicking noise from the rear
- I noticed that there is a frequent clicking noise from the back of the car when driving. If anybody has any information, please help me out.

I'm excited to be a part of the S2K community.

Thanks!
Are you sure that you only hear the noise when you accelerate? There is a thing called clutch buzz (common/normal in AP1)that you will hear when decelerating at relatively high RPM (6K ish and up). It doesn't quite sound like metal but everyone has differing opinions when it comes to the subjectivity of sound! The clicking noise you hear when you're driving... Is it at high or low speeds? Low speeds may indicate that you need to re-torque your axle nut. Very easy to do, I suggest searching for the two "problems" I mentioned and you will see TONS of helpful info that may provide you with some useful knowledge. People here are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable, you will come to a solution with time. Have a good one!

Chris Brewer
Old 01-26-2015, 03:01 PM

Ignore the clutch buzz post I made.. That noise def sounds like a loose heat shield or other part of your car. It doesn't seem to match with acceleration. More of an intermittent vibrating sound. I would look at your heat shield and just give your engine bay a nice look over to see if you find something obvious.

Chris Brewer
Old 01-26-2015, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by PixelJunkie94
Ignore the clutch buzz post I made.. That noise def sounds like a loose heat shield or other part of your car. It doesn't seem to match with acceleration. More of an intermittent vibrating sound. I would look at your heat shield and just give your engine bay a nice look over to see if you find something obvious.

Chris Brewer
Thanks for the helpful information Chris! I'll be sure to inspect the engine bay.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:28 AM

Okay so I checked and there doesn't seem to be any loose parts. I'm thinking it might actually be the TCT.