S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

engine noise, please listen

Old 11-01-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine noise, please listen

so there i was, racing a cts-v.. anyway the next time i started my car it was making this sound.

first thing i checked was the oil and its not dirty and not low..

i swear it sounds just like the timing chain tensioner, but i just replaced it 5k miles ago.

is it possible to stretch the timing chain?

has anyone had to change there timing chain? or should i just try another tensioner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WXHfswT_9c

o yeah and i kept right up with him at highway speeds =]
Old 11-01-2008, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with you, it does sound like the timing chain, like it's slapping against something because it's loose.

Chains will stretch, but I've never heard of one dying before an engine gives up completely.

Maybe the tensioner has worked free???
Old 11-02-2008, 04:13 AM

that souds nothing like the tct i had a bad tct for over a year
and it never sounded like that i think it's more like a rod bearing
or a tapping valve sorry to hear

grtz kristof
Old 11-02-2008, 05:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah...I agree it doesn't really sound like a TCT. It sounds like a valve to me...rod knock is usually a deeper pitch. Go get your valves adjusted...one of the valve adjustment lock nuts may have backed off.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:33 PM

i just checked my valve clearances and none were really far off.. adjusted and still make the sound when the car warms up.

how far off do the valve clearances have to be to have inclusion, or cause problems?

i thought that if they were out of adjustment that youd here valve tap gradually increase over time.. unless of course the lock nut did back up... but i use a torque wrench on everything important.

whats the next thing to check?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well...if it isn't the obvious, you're going to have to start checking the less likely. Do a leak down. Inline oil pressure test (did you check oil level). Check SC bracket for cracks...it may be rattling...you may have to pull the SC to check it really well. While it doesn't sound like the TCT, check/replace it. And if it isn't any of those, then you are down to a rod knock (the pitch isn't right, but the frequency is pretty close). You might want to do the SC bracket check last so you at least have pulled it off in prep for the engine rebuild.

Oh...one other thing it might be: The SC belt may have been too tight and it has damaged the crank pulley. A buddy picked up a formerly Vorteched F20 for cheap...the Honda mechanic had thought the car had a spun bearing and replaced the motor for the customer and then sold the core motor to my buddy. We tore it down one evening to see which bearing was bad...and the only thing we could see wrong was the sprocket crank plate behind the pulley was out of round and wouldn't fit on the crank nose right...the key-way was jacked. We didn't see any spun bearings. I never heard the motor before it was pulled from the car, but it was obviously a sound that the mechanic thought was a spun bearing.