S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine noise. different than tct IMO (vid inside)

Old 05-12-2013, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine sounds like this, I did the tct blast a couple of weeks ago- not sure what it is? I just shrug it off as the car runs too well for it to be worrisome
Old 05-13-2013, 01:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bensap1
It seems better for some reason haha. But the noise is still there... hopefully we figure this out tozerman.
Not forgotten this thread, just havn't had time to road test my car yet, have run it in the garage though and I think the noise may still be there but will have time to road test it this friday hopefully. To be honest though I am not too bothered about it as it runs and drives perfect and only used 100ml of oil every 1000 miles so I know it is a healthy engine.

Cheers.....Tony..
Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 AM

Agreed car runs great... i run amsoil and never burn a drop between the 5k oil changes.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to harbor freight or a similar store and buy yourself a $3.99 stethoscope. I use it at work pretty often to identify what bearing/part is making noise.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:32 AM

Got one because i work on an ambulance lol... going to check harder tomorrow but couldn't identify/find the exact spot of the noise due to it being inconsistent and stethoscope noise gets crazy on pulleys n belt area... but its an awesome tool and idea, i'l keep trying, appreciate the response.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:15 PM

Still a mystery.. cant pinpoint the noise
Old 05-18-2013, 03:26 PM

At times I feel as though my car sounds similar. I think it is just noisy valvetrain. For reassurance you could do a valve adjustment. I remember driving myself nuts about a similar sound on my 05 civic... kept stethescoping until I found the source... fuel injectors lol. Totally normal.

Just keep checking around with your stethescope. When you hit the spot, you will know. If you cant seem to find it, start thinking outside the box. Note does it make the sound only on cold warm up? After a hot start?
Old 05-18-2013, 05:11 PM

I think it's the injector about to give out on mine.. I used an Ratchet extension to pinpoint the noise- and it's definitely and injector sticking/ clacking
Old 05-19-2013, 04:12 AM

Injectors are noisy on these that is for sure lol. That's the constant noise you hear. But the occasional...id call it a rattle/clanking which does go up with rpm is the mystery. Its at all times. Cold or hot and 95% of the time its always there. Very noticeable at idle and below 2000.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by bensap1
Injectors are noisy on these that is for sure lol. That's the constant noise you hear. But the occasional...id call it a rattle/clanking which does go up with rpm is the mystery. Its at all times. Cold or hot and 95% of the time its always there. Very noticeable at idle and below 2000.

Ive noticed the same with mine.. and it bugs me.. My F20C has 122k on the clock so Im leaning towards replacing the TCT just for safety although it isnt need for replacement until it goes out. I just have a hunch the Timing chain is slapping the guides because of too much play. IDK. There are NUMEROUS vids on youtube of the same noise and questions, Im beginning to think its normal on warm up. BUT once its hot, Idk im with you on that one. I dont like it one bit

Quick Reply: Engine noise. different than tct IMO (vid inside)