S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine noise different after rain?

Old 09-27-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Engine noise different after rain?

This may seem like a strange question, but has anyone noticed any change in the engine noise after driving their S in a heavy rain storm?

Rex
Old 09-27-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohnothimagen
This may seem like a strange question, but has anyone noticed any change in the engine noise after driving their S in a heavy rain storm?

Rex
I haven't noticed that. I drive in whatever weather there is, except ice and snow. But a lot of guys here avoid rain as if it makes traction disappear. Oh wait...

Some thoughts:

Aftermarket intake? Wet filter?

Or maybe wet serp belt?

Maybe the hood insulation gets soaked, making it heavier, more dense, absorbing more noise?

Maybe you drive top up while its still wet out, so engine sounds different? (Assuming you drive top down mostly otherwise, and that the sound of rain while its still falling masks any engine noise differences)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts. No aftermarket filter. Not sure about water getting into the filter, but I guess it could be. Hood seals really well. Top is only down when the sun is out, so it's up probably as much as down. We were in a driving (no pun) rainstorm the other morning and even after the rain stopped, the engine just seemed a bit louder. Also, when I started the car hours later for the drive home it sounded different when it first fired - as though I had the throttle part way open.

I don't know. It just seems to sound louder. Thanks again for the thoughts.

Rex
Old 09-27-2016, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. No aftermarket filter. Not sure about water getting into the filter, but I guess it could be. Hood seals really well. Top is only down when the sun is out, so it's up probably as much as down. We were in a driving (no pun) rainstorm the other morning and even after the rain stopped, the engine just seemed a bit louder. Also, when I started the car hours later for the drive home it sounded different when it first fired - as though I had the throttle part way open.

I don't know. It just seems to sound louder. Thanks again for the thoughts.

Rex
Hmmm, maybe the wet road surface reflects more sound back up you? Sound waves travel farther over water than land (you can hear that conversation from across the other side of the lake). Maybe the wet road has similar effect?
Old 09-27-2016, 01:57 PM

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Rex
Well, in dirt bikes --- humidity can effect engine performance. I remember feeling more HP when it was cool (not cold) and just after a rain.

Will need to check this out, next time (WHENEVER that is) it rains here in So Cal.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116

Well, in dirt bikes --- humidity can effect engine performance. I remember feeling more HP when it was cool (not cold) and just after a rain.

Will need to check this out, next time (WHENEVER that is) it rains here in So Cal.
Well yeah, cooler air, more hp. But he is asking about noise, or lack thereof.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Originally Posted by windhund116

Well yeah, cooler air, more hp. But he is asking about noise, or lack thereof.
Sometimes, motor sounds different, too. Maybe, more or less O2 content in air effects intake sounds? A really big WAG here.